Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades

Article about: that's what these forums are all about mate we are here to discuss these things in as much detail as possible so that we gain better knowledge of the items we collect

Default Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades

Recently bought this helmet, it has a 74 dated cover and has a rank pin on the rear of the helmet. It has a large Ace of Spades drawn in on both sides rather heavily. It is also named on the long part of the chinstrap. Opinions/comments welcome!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades   Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades  

Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades   Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades  

Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades  

?

Default Re: Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades

Nice helmet friend.

?

Posted twice. Ooops.

Pretty Awesome. It certainly gives the helmet character with the artwork.

Not sure if the spade is a unit marking... but I do remember reading somewhere that it's a universal symbol for death.

Thanks for the comments guys and Giz I checked it out a little bit more and it looks like the Vietnam soldiers would use the Ace of Spade card as a psychological weapon against the VC, they would place the Ace of Spade card into dead soldiers mouth and would also litter the ground with them as a symbol of death. Apparently it did not phase the VC much but it acted as a morale booster for the US soldiers, they would even keep a Ace card tucked into their helmet camo band for good luck. It looks like this soldier may have taken it a step further and drawn the Ace of Spade on both sides of his helmet.

That is true. We used them and when we did it scared the VC a lot. The NVA were a lot tougher though, plus payback made us feel much better so both results occured. I have some still if you would like me to post one.

Mark

Thanks for the post Mark, and please, post away!

?

The liner is dated 1974. Isn't that a little late for American ground troops in Vietnam? I have checked, but the complete withdrawal date of combat troops is confusing.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I will focus a little better but I wanted to respond as soon as I could. This is a PRC25 radio used in the Viet Nam era, a VC flag from a captured bunker hole and the Viet Nam death cards. The NVA insignia came from the losers on that day.

Mark
    Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of SpadesVietnam Graffitti - Ace of SpadesVietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast