Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam M1 Airborne Helmet

Article about: Hi everyone, recently purchased helmet. Vendor claims it was purchased from the US 12 years ago and was given the thumbs up on the forum around 7 years ago although I have found no trace of

studerv
    ?

Default Vietnam M1 Airborne Helmet

Hi everyone, recently purchased helmet. Vendor claims it was purchased from the US 12 years ago and was given the thumbs up on the forum around 7 years ago although I have found no trace of it.Could I please have your thoughts and comments regarding the helmet,thanks in advance regards Stuart
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam M1 Airborne Helmet   Vietnam M1 Airborne Helmet  

Vietnam M1 Airborne Helmet   Vietnam M1 Airborne Helmet  

Sorry to say I do not have a good feeling about it. Way to many bells and whistles, the airborne patch looks like a crow not the proud and glorious eagle. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

I think the Mitchel camo cover is bogus.
    The skull and cross bones are done with a felt tip which in and of itself isn't bad but the felt tips the USG had at the time were not water proof and ran very easily and fade in sun light very quickly..
    There wasn't any reason for the medic cross. and things carried on the helmet were stuck in the issue cover band not twisted inner tube..
    I do not know anything about the patch.

I believe the 101 patch is supposed to be theater made,
    but I have to say, I'm not fond of the entire set up.
    Appears to be a near-relic shell assembled to look
    impressive. Hope you didn't pay a lot for it.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Repro, the 101st is a modern made repro that alone would make me doubt the rest of the helmet

Helmet pot itself and liner are original make the other stuff looks made up and weird I have never seen that 101 type patch before other stuff doesn't make sense either like the twisted inner tube or whatever it is cammo covers came with a band as Steve states. timothy

Yes WalkWolf The 101 patch is Vietnam Theater Made and very collectable the twisted tube look ok seen lots of them on the helmets
    look at original photos the medic cross. could of been made in the field

?

Corpsmen had a tough enough time without putting a target on their helmets. Every one knew who they were. The skull and crossbones are pure fantasy.