Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Vietnam m1c circa 1970.

Article about: by kozowy1967 Hi Jake from my understanding the 200.000 shells and liners that were produced for the Canadian army have some tell tale differences compared to there US issued cousins. I will

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Hi Jake from my understanding the 200.000 shells and liners that were produced for the Canadian army have some tell tale differences compared to there US issued cousins.
    I will start a thread on them in the next day or so they are hard to come by because of the limited production numbers and they were post war re painted and re issued.

Regards Mark
    Looking forward Mark to learning even more,will be interesting to see the slight differances between them especially as they were made by McCord as they in 1942 would have been the only producer of M1's..............
    With Regards Jake.

I must have missed this one!

A fine example of a M1C in fantastic condition.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find a matching dated sweatband

Best regards,
    Chris

Just a note to say I've listed this on fleabay as my finances weren't so good,but if anyone's interested please PM me thanks..........
    With Regards Jake.

Nice one Jake,

A great "right" looking example from a much overlooked period of the history of the PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry)

Seeing this I thought I might add mine; The shell has a fair amount of green finish on the outside and the light green although a little thin is almost complete on the inside. The chin strap on the shell is in virtually unused condition so has undoubtedly been changed but it is of the "P" stamped type. The liner is a mint Firestone so again a sure replacement but the sweatband is period. I'm not totally sure about the nape strap though which I think could be later, any ideas?

The problem I have which I was going to post in a separate thread is that the reversible cover which I think is period seems far too big. Does anyone know if the pots or covers actually came in different sizes? I was sure it was a "one size fits all" design.

I need to sort the cover as it is kind of spoiling an otherwise good piece I feel.

Regards

Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 VW abn complete less cover.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	665292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 VW abn heat stamp.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	665293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 VW abn shell int.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	665294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 VW abn buckle stamp P.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	665295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 VW abn sweatband and nape strap stam.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	665296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 VW pot with over large cover.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	665297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmet cover two colour stamp.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	665291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helmet cover reversible.1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	665290
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default Mitchell cover sizes

Hi Mark,

Your M1C is in great condition. A nice example, all accoutrements appear to match or at least date closely (1970's). The P marked straps began to be issued in 1969 but are more representative of 1970's models. The Mitchell is a bit older (7005 is Late 1964-Early 1965) and is in great nick! I see no problem with the nape, appears to match up, I can't make out the date but I would guess it is similar to sweatband or perhaps early 1980's. If you carefully remove the sweatband and study the liner webbing, you should get a date for the liner too

There are to my knowledge, broadly two sizes of Mitchell covers. One which is a perfect fit (just above the chinstrap) and a larger type in which the chin straps were usually poked through a cut slit in the cover. This (or perhaps folding around the straps) is the only way the larger type fit nicely. I'm not sure the reasoning behind this design. I have also noted that two of my 'larger' style Mitchell's are slightly different sizes again - I can only assume by the three examples I have in front of me; that there was little uniformity regarding cover sizes.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5123.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	665842  
    Last edited by christek; 03-25-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Many thanks Chris I appreciate the reply,

I forgot to include it in the original post but the liner date is easy, 21 July 1967

I can't make out the date on the nape either but your opinion supports what I was already thinking so it is good to have the benefit of those more knowledgeable in the field. I have been a militaria collector for many years but my focus has always been on British and Axis items so the US stuff is a bit of a minefield but I am leaning fast and have a fairly good "collectors nose"

I have added a further pic to show the best I can achieve with the large cover.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

MarkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 VW abn liner webbing stamp.1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	665895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 VW abn with cover.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	665896
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12