Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Westinghouse MICARTA 1961 Red Painted Liner

Article about: Here I have Westinghouse's last contract run of the P55 liner. They were contracted to produce liners in March 1961 and May 1961 total production of 524,490 (this is the first time I've seen

Default Westinghouse MICARTA 1961 Red Painted Liner

Here I have Westinghouse's last contract run of the P55 liner. They were contracted to produce liners in March 1961 and May 1961 total production of 524,490 (this is the first time I've seen or come across one from this 1961 contract, so where are the other half million of them??? I've come across lots of 1951 1952 1953 Westinghouse liners). It is also the last time Westinghouse MICARTA would use an inlaid label to identify their liners. The label on this 1961 contract were also changed from the previous style of the label they had been using since 1951. I have placed up two pictures for you to compare the changes in the labels (1958 label being the last time they used this style). Westinghouse would not start producing liners again till late 1964 (the P64 dropping the Riddell style suspension). Sorry for the long winded explanation of this liners production
    The liner has also been painted red (green OD finish where the red paint has chipped) and really could mean anything from US navy damage control, army fire watch/warden, drill instructor etc etc who knows. There is however a piece of tape with the name 'DON THOMPSON' with 'POST 510' inscribed on it so this might help in regards to its use.
    Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Westinghouse MICARTA 1961 Red Painted Liner   Westinghouse MICARTA 1961 Red Painted Liner  

Westinghouse MICARTA 1961 Red Painted Liner   Westinghouse MICARTA 1961 Red Painted Liner  

Westinghouse MICARTA 1961 Red Painted Liner   Westinghouse MICARTA 1961 Red Painted Liner  

Westinghouse MICARTA 1961 Red Painted Liner  

Great explanation and as always a professional presentation.

Well done

Very nice Ian,and good eyes too,i never really picked up on the change of impregnated cotton Micarta stamp,i had a 61 model but like so many of these p55 types the webbing soiled easily and mine tore so i got rid as did my 58 Westy Airborne Liner.nice example and one that isn't damaged to boot.

Would really love 58 westy para liner. It's absolutely top of my list. There is one on eBay but it's been on there for months as it's to highly priced with a bigger postage fee. It has a dubious sergeant stripes and is damaged with missing parts, just not up to my standard

Also my Airborne had been repainted Black so wasn't in its original factory state,there pretty rare,the Firestone/Marmac types do crop up time to time.