MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What era/year/type of m1 helmet?

Article about: I would go there to buy a liner chinstrap... but the minimum order is 20 dollars! I'm not spending 10 extra dollars on something that I don't need in order to get a liner chinstrap... which

Default Re: What era/year/type of m1 helmet?

I may as well ask this here too, since this thread is about the military, and WWII...

I was just wondering that, since my great grandfather was drafted into the military when he was young, and was forced to fight in world war 2, how would I go about finding out what he actually did, what his rank was, etc. when he left, and what year he entered and left?

Also, why do, in pictures, people have the chinstrap going around the back of the helmet? What is the point of that, wouldn't that cause it to fall off if you jumped... or looked up at the sky?

Quote by Awesome View Post
    I may as well ask this here too, since this thread is about the military, and WWII...

I was just wondering that, since my great grandfather was drafted into the military when he was young, and was forced to fight in world war 2, how would I go about finding out what he actually did, what his rank was, etc. when he left, and what year he entered and left?
    Veterans and Their Families

you can find some of your great grandfathers service records here

Yeah, I'm his great grandson, so I don't know any of that >.< (his birthday, service number, middle name, social security number)

also refer to my previous question on why people put their chinstraps on the back of their helmets

Also, why do, in pictures, people have the chinstrap going around the back of the helmet? What is the point of that, wouldn't that cause it to fall off if you jumped... or looked up at the sky?
    because most of the time soldiers didnt use the chin strap, if you adjust the headband and neck strap, the helmet fits good enough that it stays on your head comfortably

another reason is because some soldiers would get a broken neck if a bomb blast was close enough to cause the helmet to swing back hard enough with the chin strap pulling on the wearer to cause a neck injury.

so lots of guys just strapped it around the back, unless your a paratrooper or jumping out of a helicopter you dont really need the chin strap most of the time and it just gets in the way.

here's a Marine in VN with his chin strap in use, I guess it was personal preference to use the strap
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What era/year/type of m1 helmet?  

Quote by battle gear View Post
    because most of the time soldiers didnt use the chin strap, if you adjust the headband and neck strap, the helmet fits good enough that it stays on your head comfortably

another reason is because some soldiers would get a broken neck if a bomb blast was close enough to cause the helmet to swing back hard enough with the chin strap pulling on the wearer to cause a neck injury.

so lots of guys just strapped it around the back, unless your a paratrooper you dont really need the chin strap most of the time and it just get in the way.
    My helmet doesn't fit at all when I adjust the chin strap, and I don't even know what a neck strap is

yeah, whenever I look at the ceiling it just falls right off of my head

yeah, whenever I look at the ceiling it just falls right off of my head
    even with the leather headband adjusted so it fits snug on your head? mine doesnt fall off that easily

your liner looks like it's in nice condition for it's age, it's hard to find WWII liners with webbing still in excellent condition.

I wouldnt wear it too much and try to keep it in good condition

Quote by battle gear View Post
    even with the leather headband adjusted so it fits snug on your head? mine doesnt fall off that easily

your liner looks like it's in nice condition for it's age, it's hard to find WWII liners with webbing still in excellent condition.

I wouldnt wear it too much and try to keep it in good condition
    baww, I got it so I could wear it, but it's not as though I wear it everywhere. It is a cool thing to wear every now and then though. But I guess I am lucky having such a nice liner, nice webbing, a nice shell, and only for 200 dollars. Hmm, is the headband supposed to be tight, or loose? I have it tight right now so that the helmet rests ontop of my head. I'm not using the headband as though it is a headband used for blocking sweat, however, maybe I am mistaken on the use of the headband?

the headband should fit snug around your head , enough so the helmet doesnt just fall off when you look up or look down

they make WWII reproduction headbands that match the color of your liner, if you wanted it to look all WWII , At The Front has all the parts necessary if you need anything for your M1 helmet

At the Front Militaria

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast