Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Where to find parts

Article about: I have a fixed bail M1 helmet and my helmet liner chin strap just broke Where can I find a replacement?

?

Default Where to find parts

I have a fixed bail M1 helmet and my helmet liner chin strap just broke
    Where can I find a replacement?

?

Default Re: Where to find parts

you'll be hard pushed to find a cheap original but you could give ebay a try theres one on there at the mo !

?

Thanks Nick.
    Well it looks like I need to do alittle home work and find out how to tell original from a reproduction.
    any help would be great!

SEMPER FI!!!

?

you do have to be careful as they did start making repro liner chin straps that are made exactly as the real ones even down to the makers stamp on the metal studs !

take a look at this one its real not a repro & the seller is well known as a good guy to deal with in these matters M1 helmet liner leather chin strap with green hardware - eBay (item 250754157734 end time Jan-15-11 21:00:56 PST)

?

Thank You Sir.
    It looks like I need to get a paypal account set up to buy off of ebay.
    Thanks Again
    Take care and Semper Fi

?

m-1helmets.com or toppots.net or jmurray.com will have some good info as well as repro straps.

There are 3 types made in WW2, the early 2 were made with green hardware and are hard to find and costly ( watch that one on e-pay ). The black hardware was used late in WW2 and post war till the end of the use of the M1. There are difference s between WW2 black hardware straps and later ones.

Don't get rid of the pieces. For display purposes I have taken small strips of fabric or nylon window screen and glued it to the back side of the straps with a flexible glue for about 1" on either side of the break. I then took out the model paints and mixed / painted the repair to make it less noticeable. It wont be an invisible fix; but it will work and keep the original strap together .

Regards
    SteveT

you could buy an original Vietnam era leather strap , and it would still look nice on display

they are pretty cheap on ebay maybe $15 - $20

the difference is very minor steel buckle instead of brass