Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Writing on m-1938 tanker helmet

Article about: On one of the tanker helmets I have there is writing on the leather liner and on the rear band I am having trouble figuring out what it says. I need fresh eyes on it any help would be great.

Default Writing on m-1938 tanker helmet

On one of the tanker helmets I have there is writing on the leather liner and on the rear band I am having trouble figuring out what it says. I need fresh eyes on it any help would be great. Thanks, Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Writing on m-1938 tanker helmet   Writing on m-1938 tanker helmet  

Writing on m-1938 tanker helmet  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Looks like the first word is Swartz. Probably a last name. I can't make out the rest.

MAP
    ?

I think the rear band is his name (Swartz as Steve noted) and then his serial number (RA = regular army)

On the leather below Swartz it looks like "R.A" or R.D. If R.A then maybe the next row is SR 0936. Which could stand for "serial number" followed by 0936, same as on the band. If R.D., then maybe his initials?

Below that I can't figure out. Can read it but makes no sense to me. I see "1st" and 4th", maybe 4th company and 1st ????

Eitherway this guy needed to go back to penmenship school or was drunk!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Written while going through France in his Sherman!

Are we sure this isn't the work of a vet's child/ grandchild/ great grandchild? I've seen bad handwriting before... But my god!!

Might have something to do with this guy????

Cheers Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Writing on m-1938 tanker helmet  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Swartz is about all I could get and part of the serial number. I believe the helmet is one that came out of the crates that were found in India of ww2 surplus that possibly was given to a vet. that may account for the really bad hand writing given that he tried to write his information on the helmet, just a theory. I was hoping to link it to a vet even if it is post war writing. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

kids writing.