Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist

Article about: Good day, gents. I would appreciated your opinions on this WW2 M1 helmet. It's a swivel bale and the 36th markings looks old as well as the NCO stripe. Thank you for your time.

Default WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist

Good day, gents. I would appreciated your opinions on this WW2 M1 helmet. It's a swivel bale and the 36th markings looks old as well as the NCO stripe. Thank you for your time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist   WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist  

WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist   WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist  

WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist   WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist  

Last edited by vanheerden01; 06-12-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Apologies, this thread has already been posted by me..

From these pictures I can not make a call as to good or bad. The picture I posted looks as if the same paint on the FMB is in the stress crack which is a concern. I would like to see better and more pictures of this helmet.
    Is this helmet for sale from a website and is there a return policy? For me at the moment there are more questions than answer and I stay on the side of caution.

Marty
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist 
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hi Marty, I put some Profoto lights on the paint this morning for your perusal. (its the first 3 photos that are newly added) No paint smell detected on these. I know nothing is for certain without concrete evidence but just curious what your conclusions might be with the new photos.

Not saying anything is wrong with the helmet but without helmet in Hand and a loupe. Are the scratches under the paint?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist  

Marty, even more magnification of the hand painted shield- and I've also noted where the same bubbling (little holes) appeared within the paint and next to it. The weathering of the paint can be seen as well. Thank you for playing fellow detective on this one!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist   WW2 36TH Texas Division M1 helmet? Please assist  

I am still on the fence with this helmet. There are scratches under the insignia and the FMS. The wear on the FMS looks artificial aged. I would like to know the history of the helmet, is it for sale from an individual or website and asking price.
    The paint may be post war occupation or a fake. I am not comfortable with helmet at the moment. Maybe others will agree or disagree with me but I try to stay on the side of caution even when it is not my money on the line.

Marty

Thanks for the feedback, Marty. I acquired this one a while ago. Paid around 400 dollars for it from a local dealer here in SA. Not too bad for what I paid, I suppose, and think I’ll just enjoy this helmet for what it is. Most of the WW2 US helmets that I’ve come across always had something out of place since they were re-used so much. And even more so with paint. Unfortunately in the last 70 odd years random people just started doodling on these things. Anyway, thanks for looking, mate. I’m with you on this one.