Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!

Article about: Greetings good people of the War Relics Forum I recently purchased two "WW2 Helmets", one US and one German. I purchased these through an online auction with little to no info prov

Default WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!

Greetings good people of the War Relics Forum

I recently purchased two "WW2 Helmets", one US and one German.

I purchased these through an online auction with little to no info provided other than the statement these were WW3 ear helmets.

The German helmet is more worn and I couldn't find any markings at all due to rust and pitting. The US helmet is in better condition although after reading through various threads am having doubts as to whether is a reproduction or not.

I am sure the good folks of the forum are tired of responding to new comers with little to no knowledge of what to look for although I am hoping someone out there will help me understand what it is I actually have.

Any help of this would be very much appreciated. WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Looks to be a nice original McCord Fixed bale shell made in 1942. The straps are a post war add-on and they most likely date from the 1980's.

Here is my fixed bale McCord. The batch number '623C' is a little later than yours '28?A'.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!   WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!  

WW2 M1 Helmet or JUNK!  

Yes, nice original early fixed bail shell with the typical stress cracks and original texture, although it might have been period-repainted. Straps are the last model clip-ons and easy to remove. It would be a good candidate for restoration with a set of original early chinstraps.

Not much to add but I hope you did not over pay.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thank you for posting - looks good!

Thanks Marty - Not that bad. I paid $44

and thanks to earlymb and christek, really appreciate the help!

?

Not a bad deal at all for $44, although the original chin straps are not going to be easy to find. A nice shell.

i Would not worry about the chinstrap. I would focus on an early liner, not necessarily a Hawley but an early one nonetheless.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hey, welcome to helmets!!!! :-)

?

I have a McCord that looks a lot like this one in colour and has close to the same range (366) but mine is part of the 100,000 bought by the Canadian government. The range of yours is about the same date, wonder if yours is a Canadian one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast