Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Ww2 m1c question please.

Article about: HI guys,can someone on this forum give me a straight answer as to wheather WW2 McCord M1C helmets were front or rear seam?im curious as there's a couple on EBAY at the present getting a lot

Default Ww2 m1c question please.

HI guys,can someone on this forum give me a straight answer as to wheather WW2 McCord M1C helmets were front or rear seam?im curious as there's a couple on EBAY at the present getting a lot of attention,and yes there front seamed,but i've always been led to believe that these lids were not produced until december 44 so rear seamed shells were in full production by this time so why would McCords revert to front seam shells?or is it a case of they did not and all front seamed are indeed fakes?dave.

?

Default Re: Ww2 m1c question please.

According to the book "The M1 Helmet of the World War 2 GI," the airborne pots produced by McCord after the M2 was discontinued in early 1943 were regular ones, with jump straps added (p215). So, you could have fixed bale front seam, swivel bale front seam and swivel bale rear seam lids used between 1943 and 1945

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    According to the book "The M1 Helmet of the World War 2 GI," the airborne pots produced by McCord after the M2 was discontinued in early 1943 were regular ones, with jump straps added (p215). So, you could have fixed bale front seam, swivel bale front seam and swivel bale rear seam lids used between 1943 and 1945

Best Regards,

Andy
    thanks andy but im still none the wiser sorry to say.according to the HELMETS OF THE E.T.O they state that 380,000 M1C'S were produced,so the real question is was that including all conversions after the M2 stopped,or is that one large batch that was put to one side at the end of 44 by McCord and if so would all be technically rear seamed?and again i've never heard or seen of m1c straps fitted to infrantry fixed or swivel bale pots,maybe there's not a straight answer when all said and done,maybe someone knows?thanks dave.

?

With reference to the above book, it clearly shows M2 steel pot straps fixed to fixed bail lids.
    I will quote:
    "With the M2 steel shell no longer in production (early 1943, my edit) a number of regular M1 steel shells were modified to jump helmets. On some steel shells the chinstraps with nickel coated male snap fasteners of M2 shells were used. Other steel shells were outfitted with chinstraps with black oxidized brass male snap fasteners . These were of a later date. The chinstrap modifications may have been performed by hand or by riggers. Some of these chinstraps appear to be factory applied."

I have never had reason to fault that reference book. So, we seem to have jump modified chinstraps fixed to regular pots since early 1943.

the real question is was that including all conversions after the M2 stopped

I believe that is correct. It was the addition of jump chinstraps to regular pots from 1943 on.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]