Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww2 neoprene helmet band.

Article about: So guys/girls i've this awesome image of US soldiers mortar unit.but there's an itch i cannot scratch and its been bugging me for a lifetime,well since collecting really.if you look at the g

Default Ww2 neoprene helmet band.

So guys/girls i've this awesome image of US soldiers mortar unit.but there's an itch i cannot scratch and its been bugging me for a lifetime,well since collecting really.if you look at the guy standing on the right he has what appears to be a neoprene band running over the top of his M1 steel pot.
    Q1-why was it worn like this?
    Q2-how did the liner fit if the band was running across the centre of the pot?
    Iv'e seen images taken at the Bulge wearing them the same way.
    I cannot find any info on this type of band being worn in this manner.
    so if anyone has any idea's on the above then please help and stop my itch.
    thank you.

Check out the awesome hand made net worn by the foreground soldier.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 neoprene helmet band.  

Hello,

That's actually the leather chinstrap from the liner that's been fully extended and stretched over the dome, this was done to provide a more secure attachment of the liner to the steel helmet. Lots of airborne troopers did this too.

Ww2 neoprene helmet band.

Thanks pics were not so good,at least the puzzle solved and yes makes perfect sense as this afterall was a two piece set.thank you and welcome too.got a name?

I've never noticed this myself to be honest Jake but the explanation makes perfect sense and now I think I have seen the picture of the Para before (in a book I think).

Slightly off topic but as for the pic you posted, do you know the source. I ask because the troops don't appear to be in action (no field gear or personal weapons carried/worn or nearby) and the mortar tube is angled for what would surely be maximun range yet I can't see any charge increments on the round being passed between the two soldiers right of centre suggesting to me a range environment. There are several explanations for this but it just makes this an intriguing image.

Regards

Mark

PS OK, before anyone points it out, one of them is wearing a pistol holster
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Mark you may be correct,it came up on a FB link,i toned the image on my laptop to give it that misty effect,i just thought it was a really cool image,plus the chinstrap issue and hand made net,thanks for your contribution Bud..............

I guess I should of made a better introduction.

I've been on US Militaria Forum under the same nickname, I kind of found this forum by accident while investigating some commonwealth stuff.

Hope to share my knowledge of WWII US helmets.

Pat

MAP
    ?

Quote by Burning Hazard View Post
    I guess I should of made a better introduction.

I've been on US Militaria Forum under the same nickname, I kind of found this forum by accident while investigating some commonwealth stuff.

Hope to share my knowledge of WWII US helmets.

Pat
    Welcome Pat. Always great to have more people who can lend a hand.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Welcome Pat,
    You need a break from the Jkash fallout.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Welcome Pat,
    You need a break from the Jkash fallout.
    Marty
    You betcha! It's been a nightmare!

Pat

Quote by Burning Hazard View Post
    You betcha! It's been a nightmare!

Pat
    A good read though.
    Makes you think twice about posting a comment on painted lids.
    Your welcome here.
    Rod

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast