Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Parish Reading M1 helmet

Article about: So here is a helmet I thought I’d never have the privilege to own. It’s a pretty rare WW2 era M1 helmet and produced by Parish Pressed Steel Company and finished by Reading of Pensilvania. A

Default WW2 Parish Reading M1 helmet

So here is a helmet I thought I’d never have the privilege to own. It’s a pretty rare WW2 era M1 helmet and produced by Parish Pressed Steel Company and finished by Reading of Pensilvania. Apparently they had a contract for 460,000 M1 helmets during WW2 but little is known if this contract was completed due to the wars end. Not much info out there about them except for what I’ve read on other forums. I’ve added photos of official contract documents about these helmets.
    The helmets profile is very different to McCord’s and Schlueter’s shells with a very pronounced flair leading to the visor at the front (see last pic). The back of the helmet sits very high exposing the rear of the liner. The steel rim has 14 spot welds which can be seen clearly on the inside and less clearly on the outside. Finally the helmet has the stamp marking P3 but under the swivel bale. If anyone wants any additional pics of certain areas of the helmet just ask.
    Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Parish Reading M1 helmet   WW2 Parish Reading M1 helmet  

WW2 Parish Reading M1 helmet   WW2 Parish Reading M1 helmet  

Great looking helmet and accompanying data.. I am not a helmet collector per say,, so I wonder if I have ever held one and not known...

Thanks for providing some interesting information..

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Great looking helmet and accompanying data.. I am not a helmet collector per say,, so I wonder if I have ever held one and not known...

Thanks for providing some interesting information..

Smitty
    Thanks Smitty and it’s possible you may have but I’ve only seen 5 others of these Parish M1s in other collections. I wonder how many more are left out there? and how many are in collections with the owner not knowing what they have?

I have mixed emotions about this helmet, I am over the moon seeing this rare helmet but sick,sick,sick that years ago I unknowingly sold one and I did not know at the time what I had.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I have mixed emotions about this helmet, I am over the moon seeing this rare helmet but sick,sick,sick that years ago I unknowingly sold one and I did not know at the time what I had.

Marty
    I feel for you Marty these are rare as hens teeth. Hopefully you’ll get your hands back on one some day

They're out there if you look hard enough. I've owned 3 and have seen at least 5 more.

Quote by aef1917 View Post
    They're out there if you look hard enough. I've owned 3 and have seen at least 5 more.
    Not easy to find in the UK and you’ve owned 3 of them all I can say is wow

Hi Ian awesome buy mate,is that the original OD paint?just asking as it seems to have quite a sheen to it unless its just the light?your not kidding about the rear profile?like you said these rarely show up on any sales site regardless of UK or US,well done on adding this beaut to your already amazing collection........

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Hi Ian awesome buy mate,is that the original OD paint?just asking as it seems to have quite a sheen to it unless its just the light?your not kidding about the rear profile?like you said these rarely show up on any sales site regardless of UK or US,well done on adding this beaut to your already amazing collection........
    Hi Jake I would definitely say it’s had a repaint and it looks very similar to other WW2 shells I have that have this glossy/sheen look. I’ve taken pics of the inside and you can see where it was repainted past the bales but you can see the original factory paint above the bales. I’ve taken close ups of the paint on the outside of the helmet
    P.S. I’ve come across an interesting Nylon P64 liner. It’s dated 29 JULY 1964 and contract coded DSA-1-4794 and has a white stencilled -14- Westinghouse??? It may be one of the 5000 early trials liners that Westinghouse produced and were sent to soldiers and military advisors in Vietnam for evaluation. I’ll post it up as soon as I’ve finished looking round for more info on it 👍🏻 I asked Chris Armold about it and he just said it was a cool liner but nothing more to add
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Parish Reading M1 helmet   WW2 Parish Reading M1 helmet  

WW2 Parish Reading M1 helmet  

Quote by Redstalker View Post
    Hi Jake I would definitely say it’s had a repaint and it looks very similar to other WW2 shells I have that have this glossy/sheen look. I’ve taken pics of the inside and you can see where it was repainted past the bales but you can see the original factory paint above the bales. I’ve taken close ups of the paint on the outside of the helmet
    P.S. I’ve come across an interesting Nylon P64 liner. It’s dated 29 JULY 1964 and contract coded DSA-1-4794 and has a white stencilled -14- Westinghouse??? It may be one of the 5000 early trials liners that Westinghouse produced and were sent to soldiers and military advisors in Vietnam for evaluation. I’ll post it up as soon as I’ve finished looking round for more info on it 👍🏻 I asked Chris Armold about it and he just said it was a cool liner but nothing more to add
    Look forward to seeing it bud.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast