MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 US M1 Helmet

Article about: Hello. I know there are already topics regarding people's M1 helmets but they are all specific to their own helmets. So I dare to open a new topic for my problem. I hope thats ok. My apologi

Default WW2 US M1 Helmet

Hello. I know there are already topics regarding people's M1 helmets but they are all specific to their own helmets. So I dare to open a new topic for my problem. I hope thats ok. My apologies if it's not...

I habe 3 M1 Helmets:

- Front seam, swivel bale, heat stamp "01" (no letters)
    - Front seam, swivel bale, heat stamp "117C"
    - Front seam, swivel bale, heat stamp "263A"

I guess all are McCord as there is no "S" nowhere stamped.

I am sure I didn't miss any numbers or letters of the heat stamps. Now you sees my problem I guess: Front seam, but very low lot numbers for swivel bale! According to all charts I have seen, McCord started the swivel bale production in the late 44'. The lot numbers should be over 1000 then. You see my problem. and yes, I actually am sure I didn't oversee any number.

Do someone have an idea? O someone who has remarked the same strange numbering on his own helmets? I am grateful for any ideas because this is driving me mad, lol.

Thanks folks!

Welcome Joganza,however without the relevant pictures to support your question there is little or no chance of being able to help you,please upload using the upload manager,then hopefully I might be able to help...........

WW2 US M1 HelmetWW2 US M1 HelmetWW2 US M1 HelmetWW2 US M1 Helmet

First try:

Welding spots at the front seam are oval. Not very good to see in the picture. Would be good for McCord right?

There are very small welding spots in the seam above the bales. Not good to see in the pictures either.

What should I take a picture from who could help?

Thanks.

P.S. Don't pay attention to the color. All my helmets have been refurbished. Thanks.

Hmmm, lighting the stamp from different angles I could see a possibility that the "117C" turns in a "1170". What would make more sense in this case.
    Will try to a make pictures of the other two later on. Thank you.
    Juan

Ok first one heatstamp 117C was a McCord first production run Fixed Bale which obviously has been converted to swivel Bale at some point.
    the famous dimple between the Bales on the rim is only seen on Helmets up to about the 350 mark,give or take a little.

Thank you Jake. But the longer I look at the picture with the heat stamp, the longer I think it might be not a "C" but a "0". The general condition of the shell is very good. I don't think it has been in use for to long time. 1170 would make it a early 1945 production. What do you think?

Well it could be but I doubt it,as most shells with 1170 heatstamp were usually rear-seamed,also like I said the dimple is there which cannot be found on any shells with the later heatstamp,of coarse its entirely down to you in the end..................
    Last edited by ruddersrangers44; 04-01-2015 at 11:36 PM.