Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted liner

Article about: Hello all, Just wanted to post these photos of one of my favorite helmets of my collection so I can get your input whether or not WWII. Front seam with fixed bales are correct for the era ho

Default WWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted liner

Hello all,
    Just wanted to post these photos of one of my favorite helmets of my collection so I can get your input whether or not WWII. Front seam with fixed bales are correct for the era however I am more curious about the painted regimental unit crest on the liner. I welcome all observations and any other collector who has this type in their collection to comment please.
    I used to be with the old Yahoo helmet collectors forum and since everyone moved to this forum, I just wanted to jump in again.
    WWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted linerWWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted linerWWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted linerWWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted linerWWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted linerWWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted linerWWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted linerWWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted linerWWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted liner

Nice set however i've always been led to believe that water slide transfers are postwar applied.welcome BTW.

Hi Jake,
    Thanks for the welcome. I agree that the water slide transfers are post-war from what I have read about it. That's why I'm so curious about this painted one. We have all seen the shell with the crest on the side, but I haven't been able to see any liners from that era showing what is on mine. Maybe because there aren't any? LOL! But can we open ourselves up to the possibility that, as this is a WW11 helmet with a painted master sergeant's rank, in light blue for infantry, lends itself to original to the war? I don't know, that's why I thought everyone would be interested in seeing this and weighing in with their expertise. I hope to get more input on this from the other members too as this is forum is a valuable resource for us helmet collectors. I have a few more steel helmets of WW11 vintage, one being a paint stripped Polish WZ31 shell with original liner and Italian RSI camo helmet. I will get around to pulling those out to post here in the appropriate section in the near future. Any other thoughts on this, Jake?
    WWII 36 Infantry division M1 helmet with painted liner

I guess I have missed the obvious, apologies. In handling this helmet, I always ASSUMED that these were painted on and now I have seen the light! Thanks!

welcome
    I am sure you have will have probably already looked at this. for the benefit of others.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/143rd_...United_States)
    another link to other liners. 36th Division Helmet Liners - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum
    Great looking helmet by the way.
    regards
    Rod

Thanks Rod,
    The link was very useful because of the museum curator's email address. I plan on reaching out to her soon.

Beautiful fixed bail with liner that has been re-purposed for the Korean War!

Pat

Quote by Burning Hazard View Post
    Beautiful fixed bail with liner that has been re-purposed for the Korean War!

Pat
    Hey Pat,
    Thanks for the analysis, makes sense to me! I really like the helmet because of the unit history.