MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII M-1 Rear Seam Question

Article about: I have read that the rear seam was produced late 1943 but did not make to the troops until middle of 1944 - Also I think I saw that a WW2 rear seam should be made by Schlueter. The rear seam

Default WWII M-1 Rear Seam Question

I’ve read, in several place on the web, that WWII produced rear seam M-1s were never used during WWII due to their late production/delivery date. Does anyone know if there is any credence to this or is this just another error found on the mis-information highway?

Thanks,

Russ

?

Default Re: WWII M-1 Rear Seam Question

as far as im aware rear seamed M-1s were used during WW2

In Kenneth LEWIS' excellent book 'Doughboy to GI' he states that rear seam helmets are post war, however, I have read elsewhere (although I cannot recall where!) that rear seam helmets did show an appearance late in the war in the Pacific Theatre.

Thanks Nick, that was the impression I always had, but still new and learning. Seems a lot of info and postings in various web sites and forums are made by folks that kinda have an idea or maybe generalize too much. Thought I'd check here and get a trusted opinion.

Thanks again,

Russ

Thanks for the input Grime........ Russ

I been told by other collector (non internet) and read on the internet, that rear seams were issued. Most likely the Pacific, it very doubt full that they made it to the Europe. Note the M43 jacket for Europe: There were test trails were at Anzio (Feb 1944). Then they wanted to issue it to rest of the troops, however they didn’t start really appearing in Europe till December of 1944 (so about 8 months later) ( Logistical reasons) . So for rear seam, that was created in 1944.... They would at least saw combat on Okinawa. (IMO)...
    Last edited by Franz1944; 01-16-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling

IMO I think they were used in WW2 but saw light combat and skirmishes, they could have been used anywhere really all depends on the luck of the draw and whatever helmet they picked up when they got there gear. - Nick K

I have a rear seam M1 that is IDed to a soldier who served during WWII. I also have his uniform and most of his kit. I purchased all from his grandson. So i would say they were used in WWII.WWII M-1 Rear Seam QuestionWWII M-1 Rear Seam Question

Quote by Mountaineer View Post
    I have a rear seam M1 that is IDed to a soldier who served during WWII. I also have his uniform and most of his kit. I purchased all from his grandson. So i would say they were used in WWII.
    Think that's about as conclusive as one needs to get Thanks Mountaneer..... Russ

rear seamed were used in the pacific theatre as replacements were sent in march-april to japanese islands etc,most were newbies straight from training school where they would have been issued a new rear seamed m1 dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast