Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Wwii m1

Article about: I picked up this pot at an Army-Surplus store a few years back. I could tell by the stainless rim with the front seam what it was, but am completely unsure about the paint. Opinions anyone?

Default Wwii m1

I picked up this pot at an Army-Surplus store a few years back. I could tell by the stainless rim with the front seam what it was, but am completely unsure about the paint. Opinions anyone?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii m1   Wwii m1  

Wwii m1   Wwii m1  

Wwii m1  

Here are two more photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii m1   Wwii m1  

That helmet has seen a lot of use and it has bags of character. It would have started out life as a fixed bale helmet with that heat stamp number of 154C and now has swivel bales with late 70s chin straps. Is the paint glossy or have you applied any oils? I have a couple of WW2 lids with multiple coats of paint some with a glossy finish and others with a matt finish

It is glossy, and I guess that is what has me mystified. Every other WWII era pot I have ones had the rough cork finish with a somewhat dull OD hue. This almost looks like some very old dark green and mustard green glossy paint. Who would have done that?