Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII M1 helmet in Cold War Germany

Article about: I would like to show you all my M1 helmet. It may look like a 'Nam helmet at first glance, but it isn't. I bought it at an antique fair in Edinburgh for \\$45 / £30 in 2008. The actual helmet

Default WWII M1 helmet in Cold War Germany

I would like to show you all my M1 helmet. It may look like a 'Nam helmet at first glance, but it isn't. I bought it at an antique fair in Edinburgh for $45 / £30 in 2008.

The actual helmet is a McCord production with a front seam and swivel bales. The swivel bales were introduced in late 1943, the front seam travelled to the back in late 1944. This helmet, in its original dark green color and 'corked' effect, was produced sometime between October 1943 and November 1944. It has the number 158 stamped on the inside at the front. In profile you can see that the helmet is 'taller' than the 'Nam helmets of the 1960s.

The liner is a post war production liner, a model 1951. It is almost exactly like the WWII liners, only difference is the color of the webbing straps. The little hole at the front of the liner was only incorporated into WWII and 1951 liners. This liner was made by Capac.

The webbing chin straps are 1960s 'Anchor motive' straps. The Mitchell cover is an early one with slits for the chin straps, these were done away with in later covers. The cover band is a 1960s elastic band, unmarked.

The liner is painted a glossy black, and has the USAREUR patch on one side and the number 529 on the other. At the front are the letters MP, for Military Police. The 529 shows that it was used by a member of the Honor Guard MP unit in Heidelberg, Germany, the 529th. MP Company, part of the United States Army in West Germany during the Cold War years of, I'd guess, the 1960s.

My guess would be that the helmet had been in Germany since it was taken there by a ETO GI in WWII. After service in WWII it continued to be used over the years until perhaps the 1980s when the M1s were replaced by the 'Fritz' helmets; now it resides in my helmet collection, a vet at rest.

The red US Forces in Germany license plate compliments the helmet; it was for Heidelberg, 1962 - 1965.
    Last edited by Alexander; 05-09-2011 at 06:53 PM.

?

Default Re: WWII M1 helmet in Cold War Germany

Nice helmet. It has a post war repaint on the shell probaly early 50's.
    SteveR

?

very nice M-1 spanning from the 1940's through to the 1960's a very well traveled & used lid

Thanks for the info, Steve. How can you tell it had been repainted? I did think that it may have been repainted as the inside and outside are different shades, but wasn't sure.

11ACR beret worn by the 'ol M1

I love M1's with history. Thanks for sharing.

I once found an M1 with an 80's repaint, liner and camo cover. I picked it up and took a look at the bales- low and behold they were fixed!