Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WWII / post war modified State police M1

Article about: This helmet is at a local antique shop, and I have passed it by before because of the postwar liner, but I noticed that the chinstraps might be WWII airborne? The helmet itself is a WWII fix

Default WWII / post war modified State police M1

This helmet is at a local antique shop, and I have passed it by before because of the postwar liner, but I noticed that the chinstraps might be WWII airborne? The helmet itself is a WWII fixed bail, repainted for the Pennsylvania State Police.
    Any thoughts on it? What are airborne chinstraps worth, so I do not overpay.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII / post war modified State police M1   WWII / post war modified State police M1  

WWII / post war modified State police M1   WWII / post war modified State police M1  

WWII / post war modified State police M1   WWII / post war modified State police M1  

Default Re: WWII / post war modified State police M1

Really neat find, if you don't mind me asking, which shop did you find it at?

?

Not airborne chinstraps. I dont think they are US but I am not sure.

?

Look like field or depot repaired, certainly not airborne, might not be American issued straps either.

Andy

Edit:
    Steve beat me to it.
    Last edited by aj4010; 02-09-2013 at 06:03 PM.

I am pretty sure that they are depot made the straps are made out of the same material that many of my original helmets have, same color, material, width, weave and clasp hardware etc. I have a theory that they have been with the helmet a while without a liner and stored upside down in wet conditions. Inside the shell at the center there is rust like a small pool of water sat in it for a while, and the ends are rust stained at the same depth if put them inside the helmet.
    Obviously many post war mods and the straps could have been made post as well. \
    Side note check out the sweat band its a mint mid-war one. ( Usually I see WWII liners with replaced sweatbands not Vietnam era liners with WWII sweatbands

My main interest though is getting it possibly for my father whom has served around 25 years in the Pennsylvania State Police, and he is retiring within a year

Last question with all the modifications etc would this be worth the asking price of 75$ ? I know many would say that it lost value with the re-servicing, but are police / military hybrids worth anything?

Quote by Matt F View Post
    Really neat find, if you don't mind me asking, which shop did you find it at?
    I am on the opposite side of the State almost by lake Erie up in the Antarctic weather :P , so I am not sure you will want to make the trip to shop here lol. The dealer is nice but really does not come by much military items, besides a lot of books, since he knows I hoard WWII period books...

Thank you Steve and Andy for the input it is appreciated

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    I am on the opposite side of the State almost by lake Erie up in the Antarctic weather :P , so I am not sure you will want to make the trip to shop here lol.
    Haha yeah, with the weather we got last night, I think I may have to stay in the eastern PA region. Maybe I'll get up there sometime this summer.

?

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    I am pretty sure that they are depot made the straps are made out of the same material that many of my original helmets have, same color, material, width, weave and clasp hardware etc. I have a theory that they have been with the helmet a while without a liner and stored upside down in wet conditions. Inside the shell at the center there is rust like a small pool of water sat in it for a while, and the ends are rust stained at the same depth if put them inside the helmet.
    Obviously many post war mods and the straps could have been made post as well. \
    Side note check out the sweat band its a mint mid-war one. ( Usually I see WWII liners with replaced sweatbands not Vietnam era liners with WWII sweatbands

My main interest though is getting it possibly for my father whom has served around 25 years in the Pennsylvania State Police, and he is retiring within a year

Last question with all the modifications etc would this be worth the asking price of 75$ ? I know many would say that it lost value with the re-servicing, but are police / military hybrids worth anything?
    Can't really tell about the weave from the photos, though they seem a little coarse. The original issued material though will have 11 rows of weave, and the rigger stuff 10 rows. The rivet at the bail I've seen before and is usually explained as a field mod.

$75.00 is cheap, well for over here it is!

Best Regards,

Andy

Thanks Andy next time I see it I will check the rows, regardless I would like to get it for the old man, pending if I can get the money. Between bills and getting enough fuel to get to college I am usually broke.