Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII U.S. Photographers helmet - a very different lid!

Article about: Lee Miller was not only a beautiful woman, model and artist in her own right. During the war, she was also an allied war correspondent. Alsace '44 She is amongst other things famous for the

?

Default WWII U.S. Photographers helmet - a very different lid!

Lee Miller was not only a beautiful woman, model and artist in her own right. During the war, she was also an allied war correspondent.

Alsace '44

She is amongst other things famous for the pic of her in the bathtub in AHs apartment in Munich. She had just visited Berchtesgaden, where some building were still burning and wanted to: 'Wash off the evil.'

Here a website dedicated by her son to his mothers memory. Loads of Lee Millers work also. Take a look at her WWII pics.

Miller site
    Lee Miller

As can be seen above, Lee Miller was not pampered or protected - she was in the thick of it and witnessed some grusome events, which were too much for some of the magazines for which she wrote.

WWII pics by Lee Miller
    Lee Miller

Dead SS guard floating in canal near Dachau
    Lee Miller

The helmet:

To accomodate Lee Millers taking pictures, she supposedly wore this helmet in order to use the camera whilst wearing a lid:

?

Default Re: WWII U.S. Photographers helmet - a very different lid!

now that's a cool helmet
    Last edited by RH1941; 09-25-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Another example of the anomalies out there that would normally be dismissed as a post war play thing!

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Another example of the anomalies out there that would normally be dismissed as a post war play thing!
    Not quite, if you are somewhat knowledgeable in experimental and modified US lids. Would love to have one of these, but until I win the lottery, I'm stuck without. I do own a number of experimental lids though, with 2 on hand from WW1 with another on the way, and a lid that was tossed around latter, post war/KW time frame.

SUPER SUPER RARE T14 HELMET MADE BY McCORD RADIATOR MFG,SLIGHT VARIANT ON LEE MILLERS VERSION,EXTRACT FROM STEEL-POTS,ABOUT 10 WERE MADE,REGARDS MINNIE.
    Attached Images Attached Images WWII U.S. Photographers helmet  - a very different lid! 

?

Great helmet pic. Thanks for posting.

?

I know where there are two of these, unfortunatly, their owners will have to have them pulled from their cold dead fingers so, since I can't get either of those two... I keep searching. This is one of four helmets on my MUST HAVE list.

?

Hope you manage to source one down .

You can take comfort (how ever small) in the notion, that its the hunt that matters ;-)

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Hope you manage to source one down .

You can take comfort (how ever small) in the notion, that its the hunt that matters ;-)
    So true, once you bag your quarry, you only admire it for a time before the blood boils for yet another trophy.

?

I really like the tub pic's. It has a portrait of Dolfy on the left. I wonder if she put it there or if AH himself had it there to look at himself while he took his bubble bath's!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast