Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Yellow M-1 Helmet?

Article about: I’ve read about but not seen an example of an all yellow M-1 shell, from any service or period. Does anyone have an example or photo? I’ve come across a front seam sb McCord, that has been r

Default Yellow M-1 Helmet?

I’ve read about but not seen an example of an all yellow M-1 shell, from any service or period. Does anyone have an example or photo?

I’ve come across a front seam sb McCord, that has been repainted a time or two, one of which appears to be solid yellow. I know that some time in the in the 1970’s the navy switched to a yellow primer but I’m pretty sure that this is not what is showing on this shell as I have an example of a USN helmet that has a little primer showing and looks to be a very different shade and tone of yellow.

I’ve started stripping the top couple layers of OD paint off, to expose the yellow, in hopes of finding some kind of markings, as you would expect to see on a navy painted helmet, but nothing so far, just ugly yellow paint.

Russ

?

Default Re: Yellow M-1 Helmet?

I've seen an all yellow/orangeish come up on ebay once. The story behind it was that it was used by drill instructors during training. Though ebay descriptions aren't exactly a citable source of information.

If you have any pics handy, please do share.

Nitram

Default Re: Yellow M-1 Helmet?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    If you have any pics handy, please do share.

Nitram
    I'll snap a few when it looks a little more presentable (not that the yellow is very presentable..LOL), right now, it's just a mess sitting on the work bench with spotty stripping as I was searching for some lettering of some type in all the obvious places.

I've got another M-1 I am stripping as well, early 1944 dated, nice white paint under the top OD layer.