Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Humor!!!

Article about: Hi Drago , that is an amazing photo of the shell holed barrel , thanks for showing the pics. , cheers Al

Default British Humor!!!

Hi everybody
    I found this picture in an old magazine...
    It was taken near Falaise area just after the end of the fighing.
    Just awesome...
    Attached Images Attached Images British Humor!!! 

?

Default Re: British Humor!!!

Old Fashioned "Jumble Sale"

I knowed old civilians living round Falaise,and 60 years later,they were still crying,describing what they called as"a metal storm"Not easy,when you're 15, to look at human bodies laying on the roads all around the country,waiting for the next carpet bombing that will blast your poor shelter...But it's real,that,after the battle,they confirm it was the biggest flea market they've ever seen !

The Germans and the local civilians must have thought the end of the world had come!
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

the civilians told me too,that the main "problem",were the permanent and blind straffing on everything moving during day,humans,animals and germans.Farmers particularly,were very angry against aviators killing for free their cows in the fields,as they say "just to finish the amunitions"...

Reg
    ?

Not sure if this is actually a humerous sign at all, it may be that this is an area cleared of UXO and booby traps and given the Tommys insaciable appetite for souveneers this area could have been signed as a safe area for the Remfs to collect bits and bobs.

Just my tuppence worth.

Reg

Found others pictures of the same location..
    Look at the barrel of the tank in the first pic!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Humor!!!   British Humor!!!  

British Humor!!!  

martiniman
    ?

I think it could be just kind of scrap yard where motorised crews could get parts from damaged tanks etc.

?

Now you know why there are some very rich scrap men around the Falaise area !!!

If anyone passes this way you must go to the museum amd monument at Montormel and learn about the " Corridor of Death " from both the Miltary and civilian viewpoint.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

a friend of me,firefighter and ww2 addict,told me that in 1985,there still was a farmer using a schmimwagen to spread compost on his fields...Always in the same sector,a friend ,architect,visited a farm and (he is absolutly novice) in its attic,found what I think was remaining from a German field hospital.He described it like a "surgical supermarket".At this time,I prefered keep on having fun and going out every night,than to ask him "where is it?"....Of course,25 years later,I don't see him anymore,don't know where he lives,etc....
    One thing more to add to my personal "hall of shame"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast