Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Mk 6 cromwell restoration

Article about: Awesome thread! Thanks for saving this old warhorse.

Default Re: Mk 6 cromwell restoration

Brilliant, what an interesting job to have you're a lucky bloke!...

well done pete, it's nice to see it coming together and thanks for all your hard work it can't be easy especially when you consider how cold it is, i don't envy you that's for sure. cheers
    now stop patting yourself on the back and get that f#cking engine running

rick

couple of pics of the front mudguard assemblies
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk 6 cromwell restoration   Mk 6 cromwell restoration  

Eddy: Were you by chance acquainted with Jacque Littlefield and his tank collection here in California? Dwight

no i'm quite new to the hobby so i never got the chance to meet jacque but i would have liked too, he has an absolutely amazing collection and was a real perfectionist.

ian
    ?

hi Rick
    dont forget to turn the left track tention bearing ,,its important to align the track,,remember what hapent to the bren carier,, it would be a lot more dificult to put this track back on
    great to see the progress that Pete has achieved ,,youve got a good man there
    take care cheers from (its cold here) Bagdad ian

Mk 6 cromwell restoration

the starter motor is in

the pic has been taken from the fighting compartment and is looking back to the bulkhead that seperates it from the engine compartment. the 3 cylindrical units you can see are the generator (on left), starter motor (on top) and the hydraulic pump for the turret traverse (on the right). these are all driven from the engine via the crankshaft which is directly behind and is painted green, ordinarily there would be a large access plate seperating the 2 compartments but this has been removed while work continues. the gauge you can see on the top right is the commanders speedo and is there to allow him to calculate distance travelled on a given bearing for the purpose of navigation, which is useful for featureless terrain such as deserts.

keep up the good work pete

A lot depends on the electrician now Rick.

While waiting for him I can generally bolt on some easier bits. I'm so glad the heavy awkward stuff is more or less done, you need to be a contortionist for some things.

I have all the 5 forward gears and reverse working fine and surprisingly smooth while no cogs are turning.
    2 of the 4 collets that connect the box to the final drives can only be fitted when both brake drums turns 180 degrees.. so tracks will have to turn. I'll get a photo.

Header tank can only be fitted securely when part of the rear decking is in place, so some things have to wait.

Today is bloody freezzzzzing and I'm home early to thaw out.

cheers pete
    i don't know how you manage in the cold, you must have fire in your blood (or whiskey).
    thanks for the updates. keep em coming.

rick

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast