Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

My Jeep and it's history

Article about: Hi Jay, thanks! The Bridge Too Far quote was very apt! I thought it might be worth showing some more of the documentation I have which I mentioned in the text of my original post. Here is th

Default Re: My Jeep and it's history

Hi Jay, thanks! The Bridge Too Far quote was very apt!

I thought it might be worth showing some more of the documentation I have which I mentioned in the text of my original post.

Here is the "Key Card" entry for my Jeep. These priceless records were saved by the forthought of one man, who become a good friend of mine. Mr Wally Duggan of the former now sadly closed Museum of Army Transport. Wally saved these records from certain destruction by the Army. These cards record the new 1949 Army registration numbers against the old WW2 WD census number. The cards were then updated when the vehicles were sold off by the Army. It was a pity Wally was not able to find and save the wartime records which would have given a complete history of units the vehicle was assigned to and all the servicing done by the Army.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Jeep and it's history  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Here is the sales catalog from when the Jeep was sold off by the Army.

This is another tale of being in the right place at the right time. Whenever I used to show the Jeep at Steam & Vintage vehicle rallies, I always used to have what I called my "Bullsh*t Board" which I have written about the vehicle on display. Well one day a chap stood reading it, he was another vehicle owner and then came over to say he thought he had the sales cataloge which featured my Jeep? I thought he was pulling my leg, but he said no, he was serious and if he could find it, he would send me a copy. He said he recognised the registration number of "23 YH 41". Much to my astonishment a few days later he sent me the cataloge to copy! How lucky was that?

The other thing is, the auction took place at Ruddington, which is where my family are from. It was through the Army having a big disposal depot in the village that I became interested in all of this war stuff......

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Jeep and it's history   My Jeep and it's history  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Outstanding documentation. You definitely have good karma going with this amazing jeep. We keep crappy records here in the states, finding this detailed info would be impossible. It made me cringe reading the Army registration card, listing the "cannibiliation" of vehicle 23YH42 in 1951. Great jeep Ade, hope you are back on the road, burning petrol in it soon.

Jay

Nice to know the previous history of these vehicles, if possible.
    Thanks for sharing it with us Ade, she's a beauty........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Nice Jeep Ade!

I looked at buying one in the early '90s just before the prices started to go too mental but I then lost my secure off road parking so that idea was knocked on the head and I ended up getting a Lightweight Land Rover (it was still a soft top but was slightly more less 'open' that a Jeep whilst sitting on the road side and hopefully less likely to disappear over night!). I really enjoy having the Land Rover but can't help but think how nice it would of been to have a Jeep if circumstances would of been different...

Looks like you had lots of fun at the Arnhem shows! Great story!

Hi, hell of a jeep, Ade, you have a great life
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Ade, a great vehicle, fascinatiing documented history and a super pic of you with the brilliant 'Pub Landlord'

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks again for the kind comments:

Hi Mike, please show off your Lightweight, I know I have seen it, but others will find it of interest I am sure.

Hi Nick, Al is a genuinely nice guy. It was funny, I was driving out of the Airborne Cemetery and this guy passed us in a car and I thought "Doesn't he look like Al Murray?". Then later that day I bumped into him outside the house where Gen Roy Urquhart hid from the Germans. We got chatting and arranged to meet up again the following day on the DZ. Did you know he now owns a T34/85?

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks again for the kind comments:

Hi Mike, please show off your Lightweight, I know I have seen it, but others will find it of interest I am sure.

Hi Nick, Al is a genuinely nice guy. It was funny, I was driving out of the Airborne Cemetery and this guy passed us in a car and I thought "Doesn't he look like Al Murray?". Then later that day I bumped into him outside the house where Gen Roy Urquhart hid from the Germans. We got chatting and arranged to meet up again the following day on the DZ. Did you know he now owns a T34/85?

Cheers, Ade.
    No!, I knew he was a WW2 enthusiast but not to that extent !! What sort of condition is it in?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast