Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sherman tank production data

Article about: Hello Everyone, For a upcoming University paper I am looking to find out how long it took to produce a Sherman tank (all models) and roughly how many were produced during WW2. If anyone can

Default Sherman tank production data

Hello Everyone,

For a upcoming University paper I am looking to find out how long it took to produce a Sherman tank (all models) and roughly how many were produced during WW2. If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful.

Many Thanks

Robin

mpw
    ?

Hi Robin.
    I think you will be hard pressed to find out exactly how long it took to produce a single tank as Chrysler built them on a production line. The figures given seem to relate to how many were produced per week or month. This also varies depending on early production to late war and how many staff were employed on construction. Another variable to take into consideration is changing production techniques.
    Most the information you are looking for can be found at the site below. Good luck with your papers.

Mark.

Chrysler builds Sherman, Pershing, and M3 tanks for the Arsenal of Democracy

Thanks Mark, to be honest weekly production is pretty useful as well.

?

If its any interest to you i can recommend this book
    Son of Sherman volume 1 (the Sherman design and development)
    written and edited by Patrick Stansell and Kurt Laughlin published by the ampersand group ISBN :978-0-9773781-1-1
    It tells of all the U.S Sherman production with all the different factory's that made them how tell were a Sherman was made and part numbers of the different hulls, turrets, final drive assemblies and much more. Probably the best book on the Sherman tank its only down side there is no coverage on the Sherman firefly and i think on the Sherman jumbo (fun fact the us army never called the jumbo a jumbo during the war. It started after the war from a book with a photo of a up armoured Sherman calling it simply a jumbo tank)

Greetings Robin,

I did a paper on the Sherman for my degree's program as well. 49,334 M4s of all variants were built. Source pg. 336 of Zaloga, Steven. Armored Thunderbolt: The U.S. Army Sherman in World War II. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books, 2008.

Good Luck,

V/r Lance

?

Steve Zaloga's book Armored thunderbolt changed the way i think of the Sherman tank great book as well