Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tank part or just a lump of scrap on a Normandy beach?

Article about: Is this part or a tank or just a piece of scrap iron on a Normandy beach? It’s about 2m across and isn’t really noticeable unless you stumble across it like I did. Hopefully the photos are g

?

Default Tank part or just a lump of scrap on a Normandy beach?

Is this part or a tank or just a piece of scrap iron on a Normandy beach?

It’s about 2m across and isn’t really noticeable unless you stumble across it like I did.

Hopefully the photos are good enough for an ID.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tank part or just a lump of scrap on a Normandy beach?   Tank part or just a lump of scrap on a Normandy beach?  

Tank part or just a lump of scrap on a Normandy beach?   Tank part or just a lump of scrap on a Normandy beach?  

Tank part or just a lump of scrap on a Normandy beach?   Tank part or just a lump of scrap on a Normandy beach?  

Looks like boat engine of sorts...

I'd say that cog on the end is probably about a 'foot' in length.

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I'd say that cog on the end is probably about a 'foot' in length.

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Looks like boat engine of sorts...
    Yes I see what you mean however, there were two wheels (for want of a better word) at each end, obviously something else goes on the spline but nothing else to suggest an engine (in my mind), not that I'm an engine expert but I'd have expected to see something for cylinders/pistons and a couple of cogs.

It was on the far right of Gold beach beach and probably about 3 or 4 km from Omaha beach. Unfortunately the photos don't really show the detail I saw.

Perhaps because my grandfather was a tankie who landed on Gold I'm thinking tank but whatever it is, it was a nice discovery.

My guess is that this is an inverted V12 (most likely German) aircraft engine. Which one I can't say exactly. Looks like a Jumo. It's hard to tell as it's so worn. The more I think about this piece, the more it amazes me. Here we have an engine, most likely from a plane, that has been corroded for over 70 years. You can really see the wear on it. Those smooth edges really speak volumes. Great find!
    Last edited by electricdigger; 07-16-2015 at 03:19 AM.

?

Thanks.

Parts of it were encrusted in stones and seashells, a pity I couldn't flip it over but then if that was possible someone would have taken it home long ago.

Certainly appears to be an engine of some sort, but what from is beyond me to say.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Got my vote on the aircraft engine. Looks like a V-12. look at the front shaft.
    just my thoughts.
    John
    Quote by electricdigger View Post
    My guess is that this is an inverted V12 (most likely German) aircraft engine. Which one I can't say exactly. Looks like a Jumo. It's hard to tell as it's so worn. The more I think about this piece, the more it amazes me. Here we have an engine, most likely from a plane, that has been corroded for over 70 years. You can really see the wear on it. Those smooth edges really speak volumes. Great find!
    Last edited by guns ltd; 07-16-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

I don't think that's a V12 aircraft engine, it looks more like a old Diesel engine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast