Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Unit vehicle insignia on British Staghound, Denmark 1945

Article about: This photo was posted on another web site and mistakenly suggested as being a Staghound of the 1st Polish Armoured Division. I can identify the formation sign as being that of the XII Corps

Default Unit vehicle insignia on British Staghound, Denmark 1945

This photo was posted on another web site and mistakenly suggested as being a Staghound of the 1st Polish Armoured Division.

I can identify the formation sign as being that of the XII Corps of the 2nd Army but I cannot identify the insignia in the middle.

I'm not sure if this is a recce vehicle as the XII Corps Reconnaissance Regiment was the 1st Royal Dragoons, which according to sources used Daimler ACs, Dingos and Humbers.

I was able to trace the photo to a BBC site linking the photo to a Ron Axford, who at one time drove Staghounds while enlisted in the 112th RAC. However sources indicate the 112th was deactivated in 1944 and the photo is captioned Denmark 1945.

Help please, to identify which unit this Staghound belongs to.

This is bugging me...
    Last edited by dastier; 01-13-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Default Re: Unit vehicle insignia on British Staghound, Denmark 1945

Seek and ye Shall Find...

OK this was bugging me so I did some sleuthing. Here is another Brit Staghouind in Langeland Denmark, 1945:

I also found this pic of a Daimler AC belonging to the 1st Royal Dragoons in Northern Germany, 1945. Note the unit insgnia:

I believe the Staghound I first posted is also from the 1st Dragoons, either a replacement in one of the saber squadrons or a HQ vehicle, with a stylized version of the unit insignia found on the Daimler.

I also found this web site which was informative about British armoured cars on establishment at the end of WW2: WarWheels.Net - British Armoured Cars In Europe - 1944-1945

Next mystery...