Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which badges/medals might this LW-officer have worn ?

Article about: How long is a piece of string? You could make him the most highly decorated NCO or the least. I would stick to those decorations that seem most likely even though there is no evidence of wha

Default Which badges/medals might this LW-officer have worn ?

Hi
    I have got a nice Luftwaffe dagger, with a little story to it.
    The original owner was a luftwaffe radio operator. He was a professional in the LW allready before the war. During the war, he was shot down in Afrika and badly wounded. After he recovered, he spend the last of the war in some kind of a foodunit. He carried pieces of metal, from the crash, in his back, for the rest of his life.
    I bought the dagger of the grandson of the german LW-officer, but unfortunately he couldn't tell me any more on his granddad.
    What i would like to do, is make a display, including the dagger and the medals/badges/other markings, he would probably have worn on his uniform.
    My thought is the following: Radio operator's badge with lightning, black wound badge, maybe the iron cross 2. class, and the luftwaffe chest eagle.

Anyone else ?

Thanks alot

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Which badges/medals might this LW-officer have worn ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Which badges/medals might this LW-officer have worn ?

I'd say SWB or GWB according to the extent of his injuries. If,as you say "he was badly wounded". Stewy

The chances are he was not an officer. Remember that senior NCO's were entitled to wear the dagger too. Most aircrew like him were NCO's.

In addition to the items you & Stewy mentioned, you could add the "Afrika" campaign cuff title.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Dive bomber clasp? Possibly StuKa crew. A long shot i know,but.... Stewy

Thanks Ade, "Afrika" cuff title has been added to my list.

he might have worn an radio operators badge instituted on 26th of march 1936

I thougt about that one too, but as you say, a bit of a long shot....

Unfortunately I do not know exactly how much he was injured in the crash, but it kept him from flying the rest of the war, and he had those splinters in his back for the rest of his life.

It would be nice to have a picture of him !!

BTW, another option is the Luftwaffe "Afrika" formation cuff title. (Grey block capital lettering on a blue band).

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

By the way... the reason why i think he was an officer, is that he was allready in the LW for some years before the war started.

Could he be a NCO for so long time ?

Possible. But hard to say for certain.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast