Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Questions on awards

Article about: Gentlemen, Please assist me in trying to determine what the worth of these awards are. Some background may help. My boss, who like me is a retired Military Policeman, picked these up in Metz

Default Questions on awards

Gentlemen,
    Please assist me in trying to determine what the worth of these awards are. Some background may help. My boss, who like me is a retired Military Policeman, picked these up in Metz France in the early 70's. We are concerned that some of them may be fakes. I know it's hard to determine that with just a picture, but I can always take more if a closer look would help.

Thanks,
    DaveQuestions on awardsQuestions on awardsQuestions on awardsQuestions on awardsQuestions on awardsQuestions on awards

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Questions on awards
    P
    Many

Default Re: Questions on awards

The silver wound badge is a post war copy by Souval.
    Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    The silver wound badge is a post war copy by Souval.
    Tom
    Tom,
    Excuse my ignorance, but who or maybe what is Souval?

?

Hello Dave and welcome to the forum.
    If you could post some good, clear, close up shots of the awards, front and back in natural light it would help enormously. The Ritterkreuz will need to be posted in the dedicated Eisernes Kreuz forum, again, good shots of the cross and oakleaves and swords are a must as all the details need to be seen to give a fair evaluation. The French medal will need to go into the Western Allies section.
    Souval, as mentioned by Tom is the company of Rudolf Souval based in Vienna who made Third Reich awards before May 1945 and continued to do so after this date. Obviously those made post war are considered to be reproductions and not genuine wartime awards. Souval is very well known in collecting circles for their fake/reproduction industry. The pin retaining catch of the Silber Verwundetenabzeichen is a typical post war catch by Souval and not found on any wartime made badge by any maker.
    The Fallschirmschützenabzeichen is also a fake badge.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Hello Dave and welcome to the forum.
    If you could post some good, clear, close up shots of the awards, front and back in natural light it would help enormously. The Ritterkreuz will need to be posted in the dedicated Eisernes Kreuz forum, again, good shots of the cross and oakleaves and swords are a must as all the details need to be seen to give a fair evaluation. The French medal will need to go into the Western Allies section.
    Souval, as mentioned by Tom is the company of Rudolf Souval based in Vienna who made Third Reich awards before May 1945 and continued to do so after this date. Obviously those made post war are considered to be reproductions and not genuine wartime awards. Souval is very well known in collecting circles for their fake/reproduction industry. The pin retaining catch of the Silber Verwundetenabzeichen is a typical post war catch by Souval and not found on any wartime made badge by any maker.
    The Fallschirmschützenabzeichen is also a fake badge.
    many thanks! I'll get some good pics and re-submit to the proper board.

Trooper 13.Always send closeups as Adrian said.He and the other guys who can help you need decent photos!Sorry to see that most are repros.You will never see a paratrooper badge attached with prongs as well as almost all badges never show this way of attachment.Some badges such as the SS proficency badge will be attached with small prongs and a liile larger ones,but that is a very rare badge and is the exception to the rule! Buy a good and new reference book on Medals,Decorations,as well as posting your finds on this forum.You will save alot of bucks and not allow the repro cretins to take you money!Good Luck.Goodbuys