Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sliver/Gold Verwundetenabzeichen with strange clip.

Article about: Hi people, picked this up at a history fair at the local market where i work, it was in a box of british cap badges and the seller just said it was a "stahlhelm badge". as you can

Default Re: Sliver/Gold Verwundetenabzeichen with strange clip.

I'm still on the fence, as pointed out before the details are slightly off. The clip attachment is totally wrong and why it's there is anyone's guess. Maybe what William suggests is true.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sliver/Gold Verwundetenabzeichen with strange clip.
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    that clip has got me baffled!....
    The clip is irrelevant to deciding the authenticity of the badge. It is a post war addition whatever the outcome and should be dismissed in all aspects other than at some point it was used to fix the badge to something. You would never find any such attachment on a TR award made before May 1945. Therefore, it's presence should be ignored when discussing the badge.

The issue we need to get to the bottom of is whether anyone can match the badge to a known and accepted wartime made piece.

Are there any traces of a previous hinge/pin/catch?

Is there a makers mark and could there be one hidden beneath the clip or the solder used to attach it?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Thanks for the info Wagriff, i only paid £15 but lesson learned. Into the garbage it goes!....
    Don't bin it Gunny - put it in a "thumbs down" box and use it for reference later on when you go for another one ( and you will, believe me )
    I have kept all the fakes I have bought unknowingly over the years to remind myself to be careful and to compare the details thoroughly next time.
    See, even I thought this one had half a chance! ....... you live & learn.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Don't bin it Gunny - put it in a "thumbs down" box and use it for reference later on when you go for another one ( and you will, believe me )
    I have kept all the fakes I have bought unknowingly over the years to remind myself to be careful and to compare the details thoroughly next time.
    See, even I thought this one had half a chance! ....... you live & learn.
    Dan
    Thanks Dan good thinking!....

Although i still believe this to be a fake due to the rear rivet and the swords, as well as the cast in place hardware. Some makers did use this method of applying hardware. Take a look at the area that I have circled with a loop and tell us if you see a maker's mark. This mark is too large to be from the foot of the pin, IMHO.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sliver/Gold Verwundetenabzeichen with strange clip.  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hey Ralph... I was seeing that as the pressure point from the pin (upper end) and the two rectangles as the imprint for the base of the missing hinge.

Is this something you see?

I'm gonna add some images of a zincer that I have.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Although i still believe this to be a fake due to the rear rivet and the swords, as well as the cast in place hardware. Some makers did use this method of applying hardware. Take a look at the area that I have circled with a loop and tell us if you see a maker's mark. This mark is too large to be from the foot of the pin, IMHO.
    Ralph.
    I think i see a VERY feint o.

Looks more to me, that the spot in question is where the curl of the pin banged into the soft cast metal and put a goodly sized gouge or dent into it(although it Does look abit too uniformly shaped). As for the possible hardware that may have been on it, I'm not aware of any that would have left the 2 brick shaped "footprints" where they had been. What does the other end where the clasp should have been look like?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

it's the indentation from the upper pin assembly.

slightly above the "pock" mark are two vertically oriented rectangles on your badge. they are the base of the hinge assembly which has been ground away as seen here:

if you measure the distance between the rectangles and the "pock" mark on your badge and the same distance between these features on mine, the relationship seems rather exact to be coincidence.

at any rate, it's lex parsimoniae to me... the simplest explanation is usually the correct one or more correctly, the theory which relies on the fewest assumptions. this is what i see if i keep my interpretation simple with regards to assumptions.

that is a red SWB hard case by the way. exactly as black GWB cases where made as to specs and materials. and it's period.

don't ask me...

i have never seen another.

the SWB and that case came together and as wear patterns suggest, they have been together perhaps since the day they were made.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast