Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Too rare to be genuine?.

Article about: What do you Chaps think of these? , i have no idea? but i would have thought these were as rare as rocking horse poo!. Here is the synopsis...... Here is a miniature 1944 Wound Badge in the

?

Default Too rare to be genuine?.

What do you Chaps think of these? , i have no idea? but i would have thought these were as rare as rocking horse poo!. Here is the synopsis......

Here is a miniature 1944 Wound Badge in the form of a stickpin. In Stuttgart, Germany a few years ago. This stickpin in multiples was found in the huge grouping. The reason there were so many of these found is that our elderly jeweler made these up soon after the 1944 badge was authorized. BIG MISTAKE. He had thought that the stickpin would be highly thought of and could be proudly worn by people who would seek to honor their leader’s escape from death at the hands of the vile traitors of July 20, 1944. But, after making them and perhaps selling a few to clients, he was visited by the Geheimefeldpolizei, (German Military Secret Police) and cautioned to refrain from producing anymore of these pins for public consumption. At the time, he turned over about 100 of the pins to the officials and we would guess that actual recipients did end up owning one of these. The problem as it was explained to him was that this was almost a sacred item (the actual badge) and regardless of the patriot’s intent, this badge (or any semblance of it) could only be worn by the actual recipients. The actual badge was struck by the C.E. Junker firm in Berlin and only 47 badges were known to have been awarded. The miniature was intended to be sold to Junker, but this intervention by the Army Police curtailed any thoughts of marketing these miniatures at all. So we are told by this jeweler’s son that possibly 200 were made by his father. The dies were destroyed or turned over to the police, but the ones we managed to buy were all that were left. The detail is astounding and the letters on the front of the badge stand right out and could be read in Braille. They are so perfect the ‘800’ for silver content is clearly stamped on the back. We believe the Germans who bought 1/3 of the grouping have a couple struck in genuine gold, but we have only the silver version at this time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1944woundbadgsticpi01.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	674972

Name:	1944woundbadgsticpi02.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	674973

Name:	1944woundbadgsticpi07.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	674971

Then there's more... Read this and check the pics.....

Here is one of the stickpins produced by Herr Franz Schnell. We believe that when the ones above were confiscated Schnell was allowed to make this one because the pattern was radically changed from the actual wound badge that was a dead ringer for the real badge as issued. You can see that in this one there are subtle but officially mandated changes such as the sword on the left having a quite different cross guard than the one on the right, but the major difference lies in the fact that Herr Schnell used a WWI-style (coal shuttle) helmet rather than the WWII style. Schnell’s son assumed that this was approved by the powers that be to be made and worn by patriots who supported their Führer through thick and thin no matter who might come against him or the Fatherland. The pin is slightly smaller than the one above, but just as crisp and clear in detail. It’s of genuine silver and stamped on the back as so with ‘800.’ It’s actually rarer than the other (at least we have fewer of them).

Name:	1944woundedbadge01.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	674980

Name:	1944woundedbadge02.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	674981

Name:  1944woundedbadge03.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  20.9 KB

What do you guys think?. Too good to be true?.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Wow. Don't know on this one. But like the story. The 2nd one is sure lacking details. Like to hear on this one as well...

?

Is this from Germania International? It sounds like his writing style. The person who runs that website is a bit of a lunatic, and is well known for selling mostly outlandish fakes with absurd stories.

Sorry but all this story seems to be a BS.

?

Quote by Erno View Post
    Is this from Germania International? It sounds like his writing style. The person who runs that website is a bit of a lunatic, and is well known for selling mostly outlandish fakes with absurd stories.
    I almost fell for this story Erno , i wonder how long it took him to make it up , makes for a good thread with others opinions. The first badge looks really nice and crisp too. Part of me still wants to believe it!.

?

Quote by jimm View Post
    I almost fell for this story Erno , i wonder how long it took him to make it up , makes for a good thread with others opinions. The first badge looks really nice and crisp too. Part of me still wants to believe it!.
    Part of the story might be true, but I don't believe that the dealer bought any of these from some old jeweler. If you believe his tall tales, he finds a lot of 'hoards' and other things in Germany. More likely, he has hordes manufacturing them in Poland.

?

Definitely not the quality I would expect from German jewelers of the period.

?

After finding out it is the Snyder clone bloke , i think we can all rule these out now sadly

Quote by jimm View Post
    After finding out it is the Snyder clone bloke , i think we can all rule these out now sadly
    Snyder has a clone??? ..........AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

Quote by jimm View Post
    Here is one of the stickpins produced by Herr Franz Schnell. We believe that when the ones above were confiscated Schnell was allowed to make this one because the pattern was radically changed from the actual wound badge that was a dead ringer for the real badge as issued. You can see that in this one there are subtle but officially mandated changes such as the sword on the left having a quite different cross guard than the one on the right, but the major difference lies in the fact that Herr Schnell used a WWI-style (coal shuttle) helmet rather than the WWII style. Schnell’s son assumed that this was approved by the powers that be to be made and worn by patriots who supported their Führer through thick and thin no matter who might come against him or the Fatherland.
    The story is complete and utter nonsense.

Either a manufacturer was authorized to produce certain badges/decorations, or he wasn't.

A person who had been awarded a certain badge/decoration was entitled to wear it; anybody else wasn't and would have committed a criminal offense by wearing it.

The idea that the authorities would have approved of the manufacture and the general, unrestricted wear of an official badge or decoration just because a few minor design details had been changed is absurd.

In fact, the law was quite specific about the fact that this, too, was a criminal offense. § 6 of the National Law on Titles, Orders and Decorations [Gesetz über Titel, Orden und Ehrenzeichen] said:

"Mit Gefängnis bis zu einem Jahr und mit Geldstrafe oder mit einer dieser Strafen wird bestraft [...] wer unbefugt inländische oder ausländische Orden oder Ehrenzeichen trägt oder wer Abzeichen, die nach ihrer äußeren Form oder Tragweise den im § 5 genannten Orden und Ehrenzeichen ähneln, trägt, herstellt, anbietet, feilhält, verkauft oder sonst in den Verkehr bringt."

...meaning:

"Punished by a term in prison of up to one year and with a punitive fine or with one of these punishments are [...] those who, without authorization, wear domestic or foreign orders or decorations or who wear, manufacture, offer, keep for sale, sell or otherwise bring into circulation badges that by their outward appearance or method of wear resemble the orders and decorations listed in § 5."

That story about deliberate, "radical" and "subtle", "officially sanctioned" design changes is obviously made up to explain away the lousy qualitiy of the stickpin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast