the number 24 is incorrect.
24 people were awarded the medal.
But a lot more were produce.
A cool medal to have even a reproduction
There was a total of 24 bestowals (of all three grades of the badge combined), 4 of which were made posthumously. The living recipients received 2 of these badges each, which would place the number of issued pieces at 44.
However, it is known that more of these badges than those immediately required were manufactured by Juncker. (Which was, of course, a common practice.) Klietmann places the number at 100, again, between all three grades combined.
This must be one of the rarest TR awards apart from the high end RK 's etc
"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem
A terrible fake of the award.
Yes, I owned a cased unissued one that was brought back from the town where they were stored. I bought it from Stephen Wolfe in 07, sold it last year to fund an even rarer SS grouping.
- 1 recipient: Grand Cross of the Iron Cross
- 1 recipient: Golden Oakleaves with Swords and Diamonds to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- 2 (known) recipients: Golden Knight's Cross of the War Merit Cross
- 9 recipients: German National Prize for Art and Sciences (including 1 posthumous award)
- 11 recipients: German Order (all grades combined) (including 7 posthumous awards and 2 awards "on paper")
- 24 recipients: Wound Badge of 20 July 1944 (all grades combined) (including 4 posthumous awards)
(Unless I forgot something.)
Amazing Doug thanx for posting the detail is fantastic compared to the fake .
Were these MM by junker on the reverse or is there a thread here on the forum already for this and if so would you be kind enough to post a link
Regards Mark K
Thanks HP always a fountain of good information
Last edited by Mark K; 04-14-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Add information
Yes it was marked on the reverse and the case also has a unique and subtle feature identifying it as real. I don't have a photo of either on this hard drive however and if I did I am unsure I would want to post it because of the detail. There are already good fakes of these out there but the maker marks are wrong as are the small detail of the correct case.
The Holy Grail of the wound badges...
I'm dream on...