Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Verwundetenabzeichen - 1939 in black marked 4

Article about: This is my new and first wound badge, I believe made from steel? A little number 4 (Steinhauer & Luck?) marked black wound badge I got from a fellow named Ron Weinand over at WAF. I pick

Default Verwundetenabzeichen - 1939 in black marked 4

This is my new and first wound badge, I believe made from steel? A little number 4 (Steinhauer & Luck?) marked black wound badge I got from a fellow named Ron Weinand over at WAF.

I picked it up because it seemed to have an above average amount of paint left, even though it does have some rust spots, the vast majority on the under side of the badge, and it looked original from my prior researching. The pin and catch are in fine shape, other than a bit rusty.

Is there anything I need to do to keep this rust from spreading besides typical indoors climate control? I presume as is usual, it's best to leave it alone and not try to wipe off any of the rust? I'd like to take good care of it so future generations that come into my area of influence can enjoy it like it is today.

Verwundetenabzeichen - 1939  in black marked 4

Verwundetenabzeichen - 1939  in black marked 4

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen - 1939  in black marked 4
    P
    Many

A nice 'Small 4' in steel, you only need to get the other 8 black badges S&L produced for a full set!

As for keeping it as is, well, you seem to have the right idea.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Only 8 huh? I'll get cracking on that right away!

Thanks for the feedback Ned. I made sure there was no chaos to the pattern on this one.

?

Big Ned, How many did S&L produce in black ?? i am a little cofused.. Any links ?? Thanks G..

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Big Ned, How many did S&L produce in black ?? i am a little cofused.. Any links ?? Thanks G..
    Here are the variants G: Apologies about dragging this old thread up it's only I picked up a small mm4 today so I was just checking it out.
    1. Brass, unmarked some have a die fault on the reverse side at the back of the helmet. Flat backed. Lozenge (oblong) inside the sword hilts.
    2. Brass, Marked 4 on the pin. Flat wire hook flattish back and Lozenge on sword hilts
    3. Brass marked L/16 on lower edge of helmet on reverse side. Flat wire hook flattish back and Lozenge on sword hilts
    4. Steel, small MM 4 to left of helmet. Round wire hook. Pimple backed on the reverse and lozenge on sword hilts.
    5. Steel marked L/16 to left of swastika on reverse. Pimply back, flat wire hook and lozenge on hilts.
    6. Steel, marked L/16 on lower edge of helmet on reverse side. Flat wire hook flattish back and Lozenge on sword hilts
    7. Steel, small MM 4 to left of helmet. flat wire hook. Pimple backed on the reverse and lozenge on sword hilts.
    8. Steel, large MM 4 to left of helmet. flat wire hook. Pimple backed on the reverse and lozenge on sword hilts.

All the best
    Doug

Quote by avenger View Post
    This is my new and first wound badge, I believe made from steel?
    Is there anything I need to do to keep this rust from spreading besides typical indoors climate control? I presume as is usual, it's best to leave it alone and not try to wipe off any of the rust? I'd like to take good care of it so future generations that come into my area of influence can enjoy it like it is today.
    Nice example Scott!
    I would not wipe it off but you always have the option of brushing it with a stiffer paint brush, (nothing that will scratch though), to remove the bright orange rust, might help it become less noticeable.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Looks good.