Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber

Article about: man i hate to be the first not to like this badge.

Default Re: Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber

man i hate to be the first not to like this badge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber
    P
    Many

the exact type of catch there is characteristic of a floch. don't like giving this news, Dazza3483. but i think probably someone may come along with the same opinion.

the pattern of dots between the sword blades above the helmet is classic floch as well i'm afraid.

the way the lines of dots are not straight and appear to "sag" as well as the sense of "space" between each dot is different than seen on originals. in an original the lines are going to be straighter and the dots are not going to have this kind of space between them.

man, i'd love to be wrong so you should show this badge around widely and see what you hear from some of the big wound badge guys.

i personally have some concerns, but like i said, i'd love to be wrong.

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    man, i'd love to be wrong so you should show this badge around widely and see what you hear from some of the big wound badge guys.

i personally have some concerns, but like i said, i'd love to be wrong.
    Well Tempers, I bow to your greater experience in the matter of wound badges. But I feel I must say that if this is indeed a Floch fake, it is a new one on the collecting circuit and a damned good one at that, as i've only seen L/14 and L/63 marked badges by this faker. Not only that, the rear set up is truly the best copy of an original badge of any kind that I have seen...it's that close it's identical IMO.

The only wound badge I know of marked L/53 for the maker Hymmen is the Hero/Staegmeir fake that has been around for some years, but the rear set up and incuse MM on that doesn't pass muster with anyone who has looked even a little closely at them.

I will concede that on closer inspection the 'dot' pattern does show what may be a difference from the accepted norm, but my concern would be the spaces around the sword crossguards more than above the helmet. So I think in hindsight after you have voiced your concerns that this does indeed require a closer inspection all round by others more experienced than me. I truly believed it was/is good on the balance of what I have seen, but to err is human as Horst said in another thread here last week!

I look forward to other informed comments on this interesting piece that's for sure!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

If anything, the badge first posted has been re-plated. I bought my
    example after posting for opinions and received thumbs up
    approvals from Forum members. I can see no difference
    in the pin/catch arrangement.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Any images of the Staegmeir or Floch fakes that may be causing concern?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

here's what i'm not liking about the dots between the swords:

first, an authentic L/53:

now the floch:

now if i've done my job right here, you'll see this "sagging" of the rows of dots in the floch more than you'd see it in the authentic example.
    furthermore, if you look at the dots carefully between the two examples, you'll notice the floch dots are more "separated" whereas in the original example the dots have the appearance of continuity to the point of touching each other on all sides. there isn't the apparent space between dots that you see in the floch.

just above the front rim of the helmet...

first the authentic badge:

and now the floch:

now, again, if i am showing this clearly and it ain't easy, you'll see a sagging in the rows of dots in the floch. however, in the original L/53, the lines in that area are ramrod straight.

there are more pattern issues on the obverse including the dots missing just below the lower edge of the right sword tip as it approaches the wreath. the dots should hug that blade all the way to the end.
    i'll try to show this later, but i'm being yelled at to come to dinner by the Frau!!!

these are some of the concerns i have. they are obverse traits found in floch badges. i don't consider myself the final authority on these badges, but i do know something of them. if i were to go looking for a second opinion here, i'd probably go to Hans N over on the "other" site.

there's more than him around. true. but as it touches wound badges he knows his stuff solid and if he disagrees with my call here i'd recant it. but as i see things right now, i think there's a good chance this one is bad.

i might also mention that the sword handles show the 4-5-5-5 pattern with respect to the vertical lines within the cross guards that is also a trait of L/53 floch examples. this arrangement is found elsewhere and does not always indicate a fake. not every time. but it is a trait of a floch L/53 and when seen together with the issues outlined above i'd personally view this badge with caution.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast