Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold "28" for Review

Article about: I just reserved this wound badge from forum sponsor Butschek Antiques. It seem good to me and Klaus described it honestly. Beyond that, it was priced to sell! Original Wound Badge in gold. 2

Sorry Josh, I'm at work and stuck between two minds.

I'm looking for an elaboration on how Klaus described it. Wartime refinish or something someone did to spruce up the badge years later. Has anyone seen this on other badges?

I'm sure better photos of the badge once I receive it will also tell us more.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold "28" for Review
    P
    Many

these 28s, as far as i've seen them, often have issues with the finish. i have seen more than one exactly like this one: finish on the front, nothing on the back. i don't want to guess as to why that is, it just is. i have seen them with finish to both sides as one might expect and i've seen them with the gold wash having long since disappeared completely. badges like this are somewhat curious to me. if it was just yours with finish to only the obverse, i'd think nothing of it. but i have seen this a few times.

having seen more than one like this, there's a whole host of questions: why refinish the front but not the reverse? is it possible at all that some were made this way? i mean i doubt that's the case, but i truly have seen a few like this (with apparently "old" gold wash on the front and nothing on the back) and it's a strange thing. they always seem to have an apparently "old" finish to the one side. generally, with other makers, i see a refinished badge and it's refinished to both sides, not just one. and the finish is a little more of apparently modern application. i'm not trying to make a big deal of this at all. just describing thoughts i've had concerning these over the years.

perhaps someone can comment.

some may say that having a gold pin guarantees (if refinished) that this was gold badge. there exist definite silver wound badges with gold pins. so this extrapolation can be made but perhaps not with certitude.

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    these 28s, as far as i've seen them, often have issues with the finish. i have seen more than one exactly like this one: finish on the front, nothing on the back. i don't want to guess as to why that is, it just is. i have seen them with finish to both sides as one might expect and i've seen them with the gold wash having long since disappeared completely. badges like this are somewhat curious to me. if it was just yours with finish to only the obverse, i'd think nothing of it. but i have seen this a few times.

having seen more than one like this, there's a whole host of questions: why refinish the front but not the reverse? is it possible at all that some were made this way? i mean i doubt that's the case, but i truly have seen a few like this (with apparently "old" gold wash on the front and nothing on the back) and it's a strange thing. they always seem to have an apparently "old" finish to the one side. generally, with other makers, i see a refinished badge and it's refinished to both sides, not just one. and the finish is a little more of apparently modern application. i'm not trying to make a big deal of this at all. just describing thoughts i've had concerning these over the years.

perhaps someone can comment.

some may say that having a gold pin guarantees (if refinished) that this was gold badge. there exist definite silver wound badges with gold pins. so this extrapolation can be made but perhaps not with certitude.
    EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks, tempelhof! Sorry to be so vague with my request.

well i edited it a lot. so hopefully it remains what you were looking for!

didn't change any point really. just tried to be a little more complete in what i was trying to say.

?

I honestly believe that these particular maker badges had, for lack of a better term, crappy quality gold finish, thus flaking, rubbing off etc. The lack of finish on the reverse is possibly because the reverse is flat, no nooks and crannys for the wash to adhere to like the textured 3D front.... just my opinion though.

Makes sense, Josh!

The badge arrived today. Looks a lot better than in the photos. Super quick shipping. Thanks, Klaus!!

Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold "28" for ReviewVerwundetenabzeichen in Gold "28" for ReviewVerwundetenabzeichen in Gold "28" for Review

Here's another, slightly better quality photo:

You're gonna need a bigger shadow box........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold "28" for Review  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Lol! Thanks, Ned! My thoughts exactly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast