Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What do you guys think!

Article about: Hello All, I have been browsing this forum for over a week now and decided to join up, I have been looking at how to tell fake medals and what not and have recently made my first purchase. J

Default What do you guys think!

Hello All,

I have been browsing this forum for over a week now and decided to join up, I have been looking at how to tell fake medals and what not and have recently made my first purchase. Just to put my mind at ease that I haven't bought some reproductions here is what I have bought. Also I have found no makers marks on any of these medals.

What do you guys think!What do you guys think!What do you guys think!What do you guys think!What do you guys think!What do you guys think!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do you guys think!
    P
    Many

Default Re: What do you guys think!

not being much of an expert on medals i like the wound badge and the west wall badge

tom

?

Steve, welcome and thank you for posting!
    All your purchases look fine to me. The Verwundetenabzeichen appears to be a silver badge although it looks like it was once black. Otherwise I see no issues.

Thanks for the quick reply's.

From the Site of the silver badge and also a better pic then mine
    http://www.luckylukeonline.com/siteb..._1-596x720.jpg

This particular badge is in excellent condition! Please note, this is the early version silver wound badge
    made from quality metal (silver plated brass). This version of silver wound badge was manufactured
    from its inception in 1939 up until 1942 when it was replaced by solid white washed zinc.

Is it true about the brass then zinc as I have had a look on the net and couldn't find too much info on it.

All three are good,the Wound badge's sillver,nice zinc Ost medal. Stewy

?

Welcome to the forum Steven,

These items look good. Allow me to pass on a good tip I received after joining the forum...

If you don't know for sure that the item you are considering is real, then post a few pictures on here. Somebody is bound to help. There are many knowledgeable people on here who will gladly assist.

Good luck!

Regards

Carl

Some clues regarding authenticity are visible in the photos. The Ostfrontmedaille shows the typical little bump marks you see on originals. This is the result of aging and I have seen it on dozens of original examples. The Verwundetenabzeichen has crisp detail and flat back without the poor finish or pock marks you typically see on reproductions. The detail and consistent patina on the Schutzwallehrenzeichen are typical signs of an original too. There are other things to look for but those are some basic clues. It would be helpful to see the ribbons too but they appear to be just fine. NH

Hi Steven

Nice to have you with us A great start, three nice original items! Congrats

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

All good medals, IMO. The wound badge is an unmarked silver version that has simply tarnished.
    Regards,

Steve.