Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

whats your take, on these 3? legit?

Article about: ive been offered 3 medals in a trade deal for some of my gear... he is stopping by early tomorrow morning. are these 3 medals real / look legitimate and what exactly are they and their value

Default Re: whats your take, on these 3? legit?

How can I verify the cross is genuine? Any specific markings, etc?
    Quote by Adrian View Post
    As already said, the Verwundetenabzeichen is ok, the Mutterkreuz is ok, the SS medal is not. Regarding the Mutterkreuz, it is damaged and therefore the value is reduced, pointless spending any money on it when an undamaged example can be found very easily and for little money. If they're only being sold as a lot then I would pass. If you can get the Verwundetenabzeichen for a price around what has been advised then go for it, again, these can be found in varying condition very easily.

One more point about the Mutterkreuz, don't be put off by any unusual clips or mounting loops. These were often modified by the wearer to be worn on a necklace or chain etc. Just make sure the cross is genuine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement whats your take, on these 3?  legit?
    P
    Many

?

Not really. To my eye and from the pics provided it looks original, closer and clearer pics will always help but as most fakes of these awards are generally rather crude and because of the ready supply of originals, fakes are very rare.
    If you try a search in this sub forum for 'Mutterkreuz' or just 'Mutter' you will find many, many examples to compare to and get a feel of what makes an original.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The cross is genuine, as has been said earlier,of course, but these, too, are extremely common and to have any real value at all have to be complete with their bright blue and white neck ribbons and have No damage to the enamel at all. They can even be found quite often with their original Cases as well-as Dean has shown you. It's frustrating,for sure, but this group of medals and badges have aLot of problems and their value is not a whole lot of much. There are Many of the 2 genuine pieces out there and in perfect condition for reasonable money. It stands to reason that to purchase low grade and damaged lots for the price one would pay for the perfect condition ones makes no sense. Good luck, in any case. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I'd give the whole deal a big swerve.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I'd give the whole deal a big swerve.
    My thoughts exactly !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

as promised here is the stuff, got it in hand now...

so whatcha think?

note: the 12 year medal at the top is the one i passed on, but i decided to take pics to share anyhow, since the original pictures were pretty poor.

The Mother's Cross is very well worn and is missing a considerable amount of the original gilding and has serious damage to the enameling on at Least 3 of the 4 arms. But, the black wound badge looks good enough-just a standard well used badge,is all. The wound badge would still be worth pretty much what it was mentioned last night while the mother's cross looks much more worn and damage is more apparent on it than the photos previously seemed to show. Definitely a pass on the Mutter, as perfect conditioned ones are easily obtainable and are reasonably priced-and include their neck ribbons as well. As for the 12 year badge...well...aside from having the appearance of being dragged behind a truck for a few miles on a blacktop road...it is as expected-"Bad to the bone" as George Thorogood said. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I actually picked up the pair of medals (the Mothers Cross as well as the Wounded badge). In total ive got $50 into them. I think I did pretty well even with the damage on the MC one. It just is such a nicely designed piece, even with the damage it was hard to pass up an opportunity to buy it haha

and yes, the SS 12 year badge...is pretty terrible. I noticed several what appeared to be casting marks, and a seal all around the perimeter of the badge on the outside edge. Also the font is not proper (the first "T" is considerably thinner at the top than on originals I realized). Additionally it was a 2 piece construction, again with sloppy welds/sodering marks. Add to that the fact it was downright SHINY, with "finish" flaking off, didnt help it any haha

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The Mother's Cross is very well worn and is missing a considerable amount of the original gilding and has serious damage to the enameling on at Least 3 of the 4 arms. But, the black wound badge looks good enough-just a standard well used badge,is all. The wound badge would still be worth pretty much what it was mentioned last night while the mother's cross looks much more worn and damage is more apparent on it than the photos previously seemed to show. Definitely a pass on the Mutter, as perfect conditioned ones are easily obtainable and are reasonably priced-and include their neck ribbons as well. As for the 12 year badge...well...aside from having the appearance of being dragged behind a truck for a few miles on a blacktop road...it is as expected-"Bad to the bone" as George Thorogood said. William

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2