Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

3rd Pattern Jungle Jacket help

Article about: Hey! I recently spotted a 3rd pattern jungle jacket being on sale. It was regular poplin, not ripstop. However it didn't have DSA number at all in the labels. The jacket had v-gussets on sle

?

Default 3rd Pattern Jungle Jacket help

Hey!

I recently spotted a 3rd pattern jungle jacket being on sale. It was regular poplin, not ripstop. However it didn't have DSA number at all in the labels.
    The jacket had v-gussets on sleeves, pen pockets in both chest pockets and no drain holes (although the label mentions about drain holes). Does it seem real or perhaps repro? Missing DSA number and the mention about drain holes confuses me.

Also a side question: was the ripstop fatigues worn that much during the Vietnam war? Or was the non-ripstop poplin seen much more? It's hard to see in pictures if someones uniform is ripstop or not. I can't seem to find any pics where I can clearly see someone using ripstop.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3rd Pattern Jungle Jacket help   3rd Pattern Jungle Jacket help  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3rd Pattern Jungle Jacket help
    P
    Many

It's real army issue just impossible to date. I believe these 3rd patterns only showing the size and FSN number were issued during the war.
    Last edited by christek; 03-26-2019 at 07:08 AM.

?

Quote by christek View Post
    It's real army issue just impossible to date. I believe these 3rd patterns only showing the size number were issued during the war.
    Thanks! It being non-ripstop, it's probably pre-1968? Because wasn't it all ripstop production from the 1968 forward?

?

I'm not sure if that number precedes the NSN number or if it is the NSN without the country designator?

The 11 digit number is a Federal Stock Number. The 'FSN' was a codification system used by the U.S. government from 1955 to 1974... So we can at least attribute the manufacture time between this era, and being the third pattern I would suggest the later years. The first 4 digits, '8405' are the same on all these patterns, while the others differ according to size.

The third pattern spec was issued on 29 December 1966 and (among other things) changed fabric to cotton poplin OR ripstop. So certainly for a period the uniform was made in both fabrics, probably from 1967.