Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

$150 Japanese Rifle. Great price, or RUN AWAY!?

Article about: Ok, I will try to take better pictures next time I head out there.

Default $150 Japanese Rifle. Great price, or RUN AWAY!?

I found this Japanese rifle at a local gun shop. The gentlemen behind the counter were honest in saying that they did not know much about it and they do not have ammo for it in stock.

They had to priced for around $165 after tax.

Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle? I assume it is a late war varient, and because the chrysanthemum has a big "X" through it, it was a surrendered rifle, and not a battlefield trophy.

Also, is the finish on the metal correct, or did someone mess with this rifle? It appears to be almost greenish...?

What do you guys think? Is that a great price, or is this thing going to be more trouble than it's worth?

Here you can see the crossed out chrysanthemum

I couldn't get my cellphone to get a picture of the entire rifle so... here's the butt end:

Here's the business end:

A little MSPaint magic...

?

Default Re: $150 Japanese Rifle. Great price, or RUN AWAY!?

It is not late war as they were model 99 type, this is a model 38 type,for the shape the poor pictures show I would not pay more than $125 for it. JMHO.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    It is not late war as they were model 99 type, this is a model 38 type,for the shape the poor pictures show I would not pay more than $125 for it. JMHO.
    Thank you for the response!

I'm sorry about the pictures. I think it's time for me to upgrade my cell phone...

Can you tell me anything about the finish on the metal? Is it authentic, or did someone ruin it?

Its hard to say, my granddad has a type 38 that he brought back from the pacific and the finish appears to be darker on his, it may just be warn it hard to tell from the pics. Price seems to be ok (not a great bargin), from a collectors stand point you may want to hold out for one with the mum intact. Hope this helps. Cheers, Robert

Thanks for the response. I'll try to go back and take better pictures.

I am concerned because it looks like the metal has a greenish varnish or something on it...

Rifle should be in 6.5 cal. if type 38. Have gunsmith check before firing

I've seen greenish finishes on some of the Arisaka's I've seen.What is the metal like,much pitting etc (hard to see from your photo's).Quite a number were imported into Australia in the mid 80's and some were a greenish colour.I think some Asian country's(Thailand comes to mind) used them as second line war stocks up until the late 1970's.A reasonable rule of thumb would be if the finish appears to good for it's age and if any pitting appears similar in colour to the rest of the steel work(if the finish is good) then it may have been redone before the retailer obtained them.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Rifle should be in 6.5 cal. if type 38. Have gunsmith check before firing
    Is that 6.5x50 or 6.5x51

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    I've seen greenish finishes on some of the Arisaka's I've seen.What is the metal like,much pitting etc (hard to see from your photo's).Quite a number were imported into Australia in the mid 80's and some were a greenish colour.I think some Asian country's(Thailand comes to mind) used them as second line war stocks up until the late 1970's.A reasonable rule of thumb would be if the finish appears to good for it's age and if any pitting appears similar in colour to the rest of the steel work(if the finish is good) then it may have been redone before the retailer obtained them.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Dave
    It seemed rather used and abused. To be honest, the gunsmith at the shop knew nothing about the rifle, and didn't seem very enthusiastic about it... so I think I may pass.

?

You need to take good pictures of the area where the mum was and the left side of the action where the serial number and arsenal mark is,this COULD be a training rifle,not meant to fire live ammo.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast