Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1865 Spencer Carbine

Article about: Hello all Thought I would share my recent find with you. I visited my local gun shop & discovered an 1856 Spencer Carbine on display. A man living in our county was tearing down an old b

Default Re: 1865 Spencer Carbine

Wow great rifle with a great story how much did you buy it off him for ??

?

Enough that my wife wouldnt be happy with me LOL

?

Check the SN see if it would fall in the Little Big Horn range? Might really be a find!!

Yup... that is a saddle carbine for shurrrrr Very nice. If it could only speak!

It just goes to show what treasures can still be found. The Spencer is one of my favourite weapons. My wife wouldn't be happy with me if I spent £50 on a gun. I guess that all us collectors must be very proficient liars to our wives too!

Quote by uh60 View Post
    Check the SN see if it would fall in the Little Big Horn range? Might really be a find!!
    Spencers weren't used at the Little Bighorn. The 7th was issued with the 1873 trapdoor carbine, after they were forced to turn in their Spencers. Congress was worried they might have to spend too much on ammo, so they stuck with a single shot.

Too bad it wasn't unit marked, that would tell another story. I'm not sure if it's possible to research these that way, it would be neat to find out.

?

Your right the 7th used the spencers at battle of washita then changed to trapdoor springfield in 1873, but indians did use some spencers at Little big Horn. I think it was in American rifleman I read where one of the trapdoors had surfaced in Ca. that was documented from Little big Horn. Actually hadn't had the firing pin replaced and was forensicly placed with empty casings recovered from battle.

Truly an amazing find and congradulations. I purchased a 56-50 Spencer round at a shop in Gettysburg a few years back. Fired a good size chunk of lead. Just makes us wonder how many other firearm treasures are waiting to be discovered out there. Many thanks for showing this priceless find.

?

Fantastic find. Thanks for posting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2