Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1865 Spencer Carbine

Article about: Hello all Thought I would share my recent find with you. I visited my local gun shop & discovered an 1856 Spencer Carbine on display. A man living in our county was tearing down an old b

?

Default 1865 Spencer Carbine

Hello all

Thought I would share my recent find with you. I visited my local gun shop & discovered an 1856 Spencer Carbine on display. A man living in our county was tearing down an old barn on his grandfathers farm, that had been damaged by a tornado in 06. They were going to just burn it down, but with the price of wood these days he started to dismantle it. While he was removing the tac room floor he found this rifle wrapped in cloth. I personnaly called the guy and got his story, our county was occupied by union troops during the civil war. The outside of the rifle is a little rough but the inside is pretty darn good, it would still fire if a person could find rounds.

Thanks for reading
    Curt

- - Updated - -

Corection 1865 Spencer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1865 Spencer Carbine   1865 Spencer Carbine  

1865 Spencer Carbine   1865 Spencer Carbine  

Default Re: 1865 Spencer Carbine

WOW!!!! What a treasure to find. and The story that goes with it makes it pricless.
    Thanks for sharing.
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Man, that is a great piece! Was the loading tube still in the stock? Trying to find original rounds is hard, and they cost a mint. I have 1 .56-50 in my collection. I know they make modern repros, but those are all center fire. I know a lot of people say to check with The Old Western Scrounger for hard to find ammo. As old as the rounds are, I always wondered if they'd do more than fizzle if they were fired today. IT's too bad though, it would be great to be able to fire one of these in it's original configuration. Congrats on the great find!!

?

Great Find!!!

Amazing, its a beautyyyy.

?

Excellent find!
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Great old rifle, nice find

?

Thanks heres some more pics the guy that found it told me his gandapa has lived on that farm for 86 years and knew nothing about the Spencer being in the barn. Thats why he sold it he couldnt tie it to his family. It was found in southern KY very close to the TN boarder wrapped in 2 burlap sacks. He said as a boy working the farm, he was always plowing up mini balls and small cannon shot, I wish it could talk!

?

1865 Spencer Carbine1865 Spencer Carbine1865 Spencer Carbine1865 Spencer Carbine

?

Yes the tube is there and still operational, even the barrel has good lands & grooves and it still shines with a light when looking through it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast