Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1916 Amberg Mauser

Article about: Well, nothing but rain and more rain, so pulled this old Mauser out of storage and took a few pics. Purchased this in the 1980's from a guy from Colorado at a gun show. He was planning to ma

?

Default 1916 Amberg Mauser

Well, nothing but rain and more rain, so pulled this old Mauser out of storage and took a few pics. Purchased this in the 1980's from a guy from Colorado at a gun show. He was planning to make a sportster hunting rifle from it until he noticed all of the matching numbers including the bolt. So, he decided not to modify the rifle and sell it as is. I think that the bolt and receiver have been polished, but when and by whom I have no idea. Interesting rifle that is now 100 years old. Added the 1916 engineer bayonet some years back. Hope you like it
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1916 Amberg Mauser   1916 Amberg Mauser  

1916 Amberg Mauser   1916 Amberg Mauser  

Lovely rifle Jeff, really really nice mate
    Ben

?

Very nice but Id have to have that bolt and receiver re blued!!!

?

I actually think the polished parts are original to the rifle. I took it apart today to some extent, and did not find any evidence of a re-blue or other modifications etc.

?

I'm liking the rifle and of course the bayonet. I have its granddad.. A 1891 AMBERG Commission 88

lew07
    "Very nice but Id have to have that bolt and receiver re blued"

Which would ruin the rifle

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 05-28-2016 at 05:28 AM.

MAP
    ?

Nice rifle and great pics to boot!!!

My gut tells me that the receiver was blued at some time, but happy to be proven wrong. That said, I would leave it as is.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I thought these receivers/bolts were in the white. But I'm checking as we speak because I don't want to spew BS.

1916 Amberg Mauser
    1916 Amberg Mauser

This is not mine but from another site I frequent and is a DANZIG 1901
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

This was posted about the rifle I have pictured by one of the gent's who goes by the username of GEW8805 who i consider to be a very knowledgeable individual when it come to the Gewehr rifles. This is a cut and paste of his reply

"And the receiver and bolt are "in the white" (polished) which is the original finish, very nice. The in the white finish was retained through the end of production by Imperial makers in 1918. If these parts are blued, it has been refinished post-WW1 by Germanyicon or a foreign user or by our old friend Bubba. From what we can see of the barrel it seems to have a lot of original blue and that is great. The butt plate should also be in the white as well as the graduations on the rear sight, all other parts will be blued."

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    This was posted about the rifle I have pictured by one of the gent's who goes by the username of GEW8805 who i consider to be a very knowledgeable individual when it come to the Gewehr rifles. This is a cut and paste of his reply

"And the receiver and bolt are "in the white" (polished) which is the original finish, very nice. The in the white finish was retained through the end of production by Imperial makers in 1918. If these parts are blued, it has been refinished post-WW1 by Germanyicon or a foreign user or by our old friend Bubba. From what we can see of the barrel it seems to have a lot of original blue and that is great. The butt plate should also be in the white as well as the graduations on the rear sight, all other parts will be blued."

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil

?

OK . Forget what I said about the re blue!! although it does look kind of strange

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast