Become our sponsor and display your banner here

1933 Tula Mosin Nagant 91/30

Article about: Here's one of the newest members of the family. A 1933 Hex receiver. Unfortunately a factory refurb like most so not 100% matching (forced mag and late two piece stock). Normally I would nev

?

Default 1933 Tula Mosin Nagant 91/30

Here's one of the newest members of the family. A 1933 Hex receiver. Unfortunately a factory refurb like most so not 100% matching (forced mag and late two piece stock). Normally I would never alter a piece but being a dime a dozen and a refurb I decided to go ahead and refinish the stock using a red oak stain and urathane clear coat as opposed to the original cheap shellac which was peeling pretty bad on the front end. The blueing/parkerized coating was perfect on it so I didnt bother to redo the metal.
    What are your thoughts on the refinished stock (be honest). I personally think it turned out amazing and brought the piece back to life. Should make a nice display piece along with my Tokarev and SVT as well as a great shooter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160417_170145.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	954829

Name:	20160417_170227.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	954830

Name:	20160417_171825.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	954831

Name:	20160417_171840.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	954832

The pictures really dont do it justice!

I think the stock turned out nice. I also have been debating the issue of refinished stocks. I see a lot of people saying "the stock has been refinished".. I personally think its an overrated "flaw".. I would rather see them refinished than rot away.
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    I think the stock turned out nice. I also have been debating the issue of refinished stocks. I see a lot of people saying "the stock has been refinished".. I personally think its an overrated "flaw".. I would rather see them refinished than rot away.
    couldnt agree more especially with the russian refurbs, to be honest i dont think id ever even consider redoing some of the more expensive guns like an enfield stock or k98 stock unless i absolutly had to in order to preserve a piece. But on these it defiantly compliments the rifles nicely ive had many positive compliments. In all honesty the stock is still an original stock tho so its not like its a repo or anything.

Couldn't have said it better. I would rather have a nice original, refinished stock than a splintered piece of garbage with the remnants of its former glory.
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

?

while on the topic I have a 1917 BSA lee enfield mkIII* with replaced furniture most likely done pre WW2 and i have to say i prefer thats as far as a show piece and shooter than one with the original banged up and arsenal repaired stocks they seem rather unsafe to fire. But if you like a piece that tells a story the later is the way to go however for some reason they seem to hold a huge premium. Which is part of the reason i went with a pre WW2 furniture rebuild.

- - ------- - -

Name:	20160417_145915.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	987701

Absolutely nothing wrong with that stock. A few scratches add character, a splintering mess needs to be saved.