MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

1939 98K All Matching Rifle

Article about: Hello all, I got a call today from a US Army vet looking to part with a 98K rifle he picked up from the family of the GI who shipped it home. Apparently they have the capture papers, but hav

Dont get me wrong, its looks great with matching numbers... Ive just having difficulty wrapping my brain around the stock being legit, probably because ive just never seen those colors in all the k98's ive ever seen.

Very nice looking rifle and for $600 you are stealing it. G.I. bringback is a great score. The Weimar style eagles are correct for early 1939 rifles for Borsigwalde. I agree the RU on barrel should denote barrel makers code. Your 98k is just one year off from mine which I posted pics of in November. Also have a 243 code but is a 1940 made 98. Think ya got one fine looking rifle there. Thanks for sharing it with us.

It's good to see good reference info trickling in. This is a neat gun, kind of a transitional "hybrid" 98k, Weimar eagles and laminated stock, interesting mix. Is the front sight block cutout for a hood, I didn't see the grooves? 1939 date is super also, earliest possible wartime date.

Mauser, can you post a few pics of yours?

Quote by Larboard View Post
    It's good to see good reference info trickling in. This is a neat gun, kind of a transitional "hybrid" 98k, Weimar eagles and laminated stock, interesting mix. Is the front sight block cutout for a hood, I didn't see the grooves? 1939 date is super also, earliest possible wartime date.

Mauser, can you post a few pics of yours?
    I already did a few weeks back Larboard. Story with pics and all. Scroll around and you will see it. "My 1940 Mauser Borsigwalde G.I. bringback" Father brought it back after finding it in a building in a town the Germans retreated from. Thanks for your interest.

?

Ziomanno, thank you for your input, I will be sure to double check that when I look at it here in about an hour.

?

Gentleman, thank you for all the positive comments and input. Weapons is something I am slowly getting into and I have learned a lot just in this thread!

When it comes to 98k, there is so much to learn it's frightening. I never realized this in the old days, but I do now. The Third Reich pistols are way simpler. Good luck on your score, that price is like stepping back in time, a long time.

Yeah well put Larboard. Seems always to be some variation. Can't believe how the Germans numbered even the screws. Hope you found my 98k posting by the way.

?

Red and white glue variants of laminated stocks were produced, red glue is more common.

Some examples here:
    German K98 Stocks and Wood Types
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Red and white glue variants of laminated stocks were produced, red glue is more common.

Some examples here:
    German K98 Stocks and Wood Types
    Nice link John. As I suspected. The majority that I seen are typically red laminate.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast