MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

2 Old Soldiers USA/USSR and Bayos

Article about: 2 veteran rifles of their respective armies-a US Enfield Model of 1917 and a Soviet Mosin Nagant m91/30. The M17 is a late production Eddystone factory example from January 1919 when product

Default 2 Old Soldiers USA/USSR and Bayos

2 veteran rifles of their respective armies-a US Enfield Model of 1917 and a Soviet Mosin Nagant m91/30.

The M17 is a late production Eddystone factory example from January 1919 when production ceased as it became certain that The Great War was actually over as far as the fighting was concerned. The story of the Enfield P13/14 and M1917 has been told here many times but it's worth remembering that the M17 was the primary rifle of the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) in France by Nov 1918 equipping over 60% of the AEF. It had also been considered to replace the Springfield M1903 post war as the standard US rifle due to the large available stocks of the M17 but the lack of windage adjustments for the rear sight stopped this as there was still a bias for very long range deliberate rifle fire in US military circles. Large numbers were kept in store and pulled out for WW2 use as supplied to Britain mostly for 'Home Guard' use and to other allies such as Nationalist China and France who used them in combat-the US used them mostly for training in the USA but some did see combat use in N/W Europe as late as 1945. Post WW2 use included supply to Denmark and even South Vietnam (must have been a very heavy burden for the small statured Vietnamese troops).

The Mosin Nagant started life as a dragoon model made by Izhevsk in 1924, surviving the various campaigns before and during 'The Great Patriotic War' to be rebuilt post WW2 at Izhevsk to m91/30 standard with new rear and fore sights.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 Old Soldiers USA/USSR and Bayos   2 Old Soldiers USA/USSR and Bayos  

2 Old Soldiers USA/USSR and Bayos   2 Old Soldiers USA/USSR and Bayos  

Default Re: 2 Old Soldiers USA/USSR and Bayos

thanks for shring this history.

Man that M17 is beautiful condition !

commando450-thanks for the comments-the M17 is, however, well used with many stock repairs-here in Australia the P14/M17 rifles were popular with service rifle clubs as they are very accurate with a strong action and used to be available in large numbers but as with most things are getting rare in good condition.

I was thinking she was in original shape,bad choice of words on my part. but could not tell from the pic.

So the bore is still nice?

what kind of group will she shoot(MOA)?

Cheers from across the big pond,BTW !!

Mike

No problems, just didn't want to misrepresent the old girl-I'm sure many of the other members would have better examples in their collections but she has character as well as being amongst the last made. I don't really shoot much and haven't shot this one but the bore is still fairly usable.

?

Nice to see the old war horses on display.Love both rifles, keep them coming.

Hi,
    Thanks for showig the rifles, i have two mosins but like the M17, i would like to get one for the collection but probably have to wait a while,

Dave.