Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'

Article about: Enjoy this Harrington & Richardson 37mm Signal Rifle Sent to England in WW2 under the 'Lend Lease' Plan and Broad Arrow Proofed... BILL

Haldor
    ?

Default Re: 37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'

Here is where I found 37mm flares and 37mm to 26.5mm adapters.

26.5 & 37mm Products

I noticed that the 37mm loads on this webpage have what look like plastic ribs near the rim. I am going to order one and see if I can make it fit by trimming the plastic ribs.

Last edited by Haldor; 06-28-2010 at 04:18 AM.

?

I can't be 100% sure of caliber without looking at it as someone may have modified it but they originally shot the same round as the M8 flare pistol. It is bigger than the modern 37/38 mm rounds and these could split/bulge. It would not be difficult to make an adapter to shoot 26mm flares. Some of these might work but are probably not the same caliber. Flares and tear gas have some interchangeability but there was no standardization like SAMMI. Each company made a round for their gun. There is not guarantee that another 37mm, 38mm or 1.5 inch round is safe or will fit.

I think the ones in the pic will go in your gun without trimming the ribs but may be too big, again you have to measure these to be sure. The ribs look like they are standoffs for the rim of what is considered the 38mm guns. Some without rims are even labeled 37/38 by the manufacturer as they will fire in the 37mm guns but the case will bulge but shoot in the 38mm guns.

What state are you in? Just wondered which Dept had so many of them.

Haldor
    ?

Quote by copdoc View Post
    I can't be 100% sure of caliber without looking at it as someone may have modified it but they originally shot the same round as the M8 flare pistol. It is bigger than the modern 37/38 mm rounds and these could split/bulge. It would not be difficult to make an adapter to shoot 26mm flares. Some of these might work but are probably not the same caliber. Flares and tear gas have some interchangeability but there was no standardization like SAMMI. Each company made a round for their gun. There is not guarantee that another 37mm, 38mm or 1.5 inch round is safe or will fit.

I think the ones in the pic will go in your gun without trimming the ribs but may be too big, again you have to measure these to be sure. The ribs look like they are standoffs for the rim of what is considered the 38mm guns. Some without rims are even labeled 37/38 by the manufacturer as they will fire in the 37mm guns but the case will bulge but shoot in the 38mm guns.

What state are you in? Just wondered which Dept had so many of them.
    Columbus Ohio. Thanks for the additional info. I think I will go ahead and order the 37mm to 26.5mm adapter. If it is bigger in diameter, then I can turn it down. If it is smaller in diameter, then I may have to make a sleeve for it. A small gap between the chamber and the insert, shouldn't cause a problem as long as the rim doesn't fall through.

I appreciate all of the help and info.

?

Quote by Haldor View Post
    Columbus Ohio. Thanks for the additional info. I think I will go ahead and order the 37mm to 26.5mm adapter. If it is bigger in diameter, then I can turn it down. If it is smaller in diameter, then I may have to make a sleeve for it. A small gap between the chamber and the insert, shouldn't cause a problem as long as the rim doesn't fall through.

I appreciate all of the help and info.
    Here is some more 37/38/1.5" with a few 40mm thrown in for reference. They span WWI to modern. It is not a collection just an accumulation. All are inert empty or fired except flares and blanks. Hope this helps. Ask you local police firearms examiners, EOD or the chemical training officers and they may be of help in determining what you need.

In a hurry description may not be in order.

40mm,

Last one a 37mm Arwen/Sage training round(a whole other story on 37/38s) This to honor our Brit cousins. It is a great gas gun. Wish we had one.

1.56"/M8, these are the ones for your gun. Note the M74 is fired, these have a pretty big charge of flash powder, crush ignition and are dangerous.
    WWI WWII VN, one is the front loader for the M8, hand held launcher and for the flare launcher for air fields.

38 and 37mm Note some of the 37 mm are marked 37/38 by factory. The "38s" will not chamber in the 37mm Lake Erie guns but will in the Federal 37/38mm. Some "37mms" will shoot but the case will swell in 38mm guns.

recent 37mm commercial flare(note too big for the Coston and Sedgley guns) 37/38mm launching blank for MPG grenade, 12 ga blank adapter for 37/38mm gun (some were adapted to launch gas grenades like the MPG and numerous others) 37/38 to 26mm adapter

Last edited by copdoc; 06-29-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Haldor
    ?

Very nice collection of rounds there. Some of those rounds are huge! Thanks for the info.

?

Thanks
    The real big one is a "blast dispersion" round. Something you don't want to shoot even if you are upwind and wearing a mask.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12