Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'

Article about: Enjoy this Harrington & Richardson 37mm Signal Rifle Sent to England in WW2 under the 'Lend Lease' Plan and Broad Arrow Proofed... BILL

Default 37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'

Enjoy this Harrington & Richardson 37mm Signal Rifle Sent to England in WW2 under the 'Lend Lease' Plan and Broad Arrow Proofed... BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'   37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'  

37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'   37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'  

Attached Images Attached Images 37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease' 
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: 37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'

I have never even seen one of these before! Thanks Bill.

Cheers, Ade.

boswalt
    ?

Bill,

We just unearthed one of these in spectacular condition from our department armory. Some of the guys were going to start putting 37mm less lethal rounds through it but I suggested we find out if it can take it and if it worth something before we mess it up. It truly is beautiful.

Is there any significance or should we blaze away?

Just a guess but , I bet it's worth at least $1000 .
    Maybe even a whole lot more to the right Collector.
    It would be a shame to ruin it.

?

Quote by boswalt View Post
    Bill,

We just unearthed one of these in spectacular condition from our department armory. Some of the guys were going to start putting 37mm less lethal rounds through it but I suggested we find out if it can take it and if it worth something before we mess it up. It truly is beautiful.

Is there any significance or should we blaze away?
    Hi Mike

This is a different caliber from the modern 37 and 38mm rounds. There are 4 or 5 major 1 1/2" calibers and many variations. Some are interchangeable some are not. This one shoots the 1.56",(same as M8) round that was used in WW1 and WWII. PM or email me if want more info. Gunner Swerenger's book has some information but info is hard to find. These guns are a varied and complicated as Lugers but there seems to be very little interest.

Haldor
    ?

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I just acquired this exact same model launcher today and was looking for more information about it. This is a very nicely made device, the machining is very quality and the one I bought is in very nice condition (finish is about 85%).

Does anyone have any more information about the correct ammo to use with it? Also, mine came without a buttplate. Does anyone know of a source for parts or more information about this piece? Mine has the exact same markings as the OPs picture.

Looks like we have twin brothers... I have seen very few of these lend lease weapons...Gotta be scarce....I'll post some rounds tomorrow for these rare weapons....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Signal ctgs. for the 37mm Flare guns.....BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'   37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'  

37mm H&R Flare Rifle 'Lend Lease'  

?

Not all of these were Lend lease guns. They were made in the 1930s by H&R for Lake Erie when they ran out of Webleys to convert to tear gas guns. Federal labs bought Webleys, chromed plated some put sights on few and sold them to LE just prior to WWII. Lake Erie bought Webleys and made a different stock for them to compete with Federal Labs. When Lake Erie ran out of surplus guns H&R was contracted to make some and to use the stock that Lake Erie converted guns had fitted. I have not seen one with a broad arrow stamp except Bill's. I would be interested in seeing any other marked for the Brits or other countries. Swenegen said that Costen & Sedgleymake the same gun for Lake Erie but I have never seen one.

They shoot a now obsolete 1.56" ctg that is not interchangeable with modern 37 or 38mm ammo. The last of the ammo in this particular caliber that I have seen were the M74 artillery simulator rounds and a few red flares with dates from the 50s and 60s. Most of the tear gas made for them has probably been destroyed long ago.

Haldor
    ?

Thanks very much for the info. Mine came from a police department armory (I live in the USA). The gun shop I purchased mine from gotten a hold of 8 of them somehow and had sold 6 before I purchased mine. It is a very neat piece of history to have and even if I can't find usable flares for it I am still very glad to have it.

Do you know where I can find specifications for the ammo this launcher is chambered for? I can order a modern 37mm to 26.5mm adapter for a reasonable fee here in the USA. Hopefully it will be possible to modify the modern adapter to fit in the chamber of my launcher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast