Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

38 s&w m&p or victory revolver ?

Article about: Andy, Here's a link to the S&WCA page where you can download a factory letter request. Expect it to take 5 to 6 weeks - and perhaps a little longer because Roy has been travelling for se

?

Default Re: 38 s&w m&p or victory revolver ?

Andy,

Here's a link to the S&WCA page where you can download a factory letter request. Expect it to take 5 to 6 weeks - and perhaps a little longer because Roy has been travelling for several weeks now.

Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

Regards,

Mark
    MarkV
    COL, U.S. Army (Ret.)

G'day, I've been reading your messages with interest as I also have a pre victory model with an early SN. 778204. At this stage I haven't checked all of the Nos to see if they are matching but will do so tomorow. Mine has a nice parkerised finish with a very good bore although the grips are servicable they are a bit tired. At this stage I'm going through the process of chasing up suitable brass for reloading and for that matter projectiles. I do have about 50 rounds military issue but they are not going to last very long. When I get a chance I will photograph and post.
    Regards Ken

Hello all,
    I have an S&W revolver which I purchased as a Victory lend lease. As soon as I opened the parcel I recognised it as an M&P model 10. I had one of these before the pistol ban which I purchased for 15.00 as no one else wanted it as it was chambered for .38 S&W and everyone else was shooting .38 special. I did some work on it and made a ventilated rib, (bit like a Colt Python), with target sights. and carved a pair of grips in walnut, one for target and one for combat target shooting. It shot well with reloads as it was easy to get hold of a bag full of fired cases, again no one wanted them. I sold the pistol for 200.00 and sadly it's hanging on the new owners wall after being deac'ted.
    The present one I have looks like a mod 10 M&P and yours looks similar. The serial No on mine is 921663 and has a 5" barrel. there are no V marks just the usual S&W ones. Do you know the difference between the 10 and the 11, I'm curious?
    Hope you can help me in my confusion!
    Many thanks,
    Guy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W Mod 10 1.JPG 
Views:	885 
Size:	318.2 KB 
ID:	447818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W Mod 10 2.JPG 
Views:	1981 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	447819  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W Mod 10 conversion 1.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	447820  

Those are some nice revolvers, for sure. I also have one of these Smith & Wesson Military & Police .38s. I live in the UK nowadays, so it is a deactivated weapon. My particular revolver is a pre V model with the serial number 87XXXX. It was produced for the British military and was manufactured in late 1941, early 1942. It was produced in the British .380 ammo (American .38 S&W) Most of the British contract revolvers came with 4 or 5 inch barrels. Mine has a 5 inch barrel. The stocks are American walnut and the revolver has the parkerized finish. The M&P was designated the Model 10 in the 1950s. The lower revolver is my deact Colt Police Positive in .38 S&W (which is smaller than the .38 special). This one was, like the S&W, manufactured in late 1941, early 1942. This weapon was the standard police side arm for many American police departments in the 1920s - 1940s and was used until the .38 specials became more popular. This particular weapon was used by the British in WWII, it has markings showing it was used in Egypt. These two revolvers were apparently much preferred to the British Enfield and Webleys.

Attachment 447870

Thanks for the info Alexander,
    When I'd finished my conversion job an elderly friend gave me a few boxes of .380/200 to try. This was of course before the ban. The 200gn projectile was so slow that with both eyes open, (I prefer to shoot pistol like this), it was often possible to see the round on it's way to the target, not the most accurate way for a high score but interesting! My reloads were a little hotter using a 128gn RN lead projectile and surprisingly accurate. These days I like the K38 in .38 special but of course can only shoot these in Switzerland, where it's possible to shoot just about anything.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Heres my S&W .38 serial 876XXX,New Zealand marked also.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010013.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	448045

The model 10 and 11 designations were applied retrospectively by S&W well after WW2-at the time the .38 pistol was the model 1903 4th edition-the story of how the pistol ended up in British use is involved but basically S&W accepted a contract to produce a 9mm carbine/SMG for the UK but couldn't design a working weapon (they had no experience in that field)-they couldn't reurn the contract money as they were broke effectively and so offered to supply the revolver in British .38/200-this was done initially by converting existing stock to that calibre so you get different barrel lengths of 4, 5 and 6 inch with mostly 5 being common-these are finished with commercial blue finish and chequered grips-when the serial no.s reached 1,000,000 the stamping machinery needed to be reset and a V was added as a prefix-this is the Victory part of the designation. The finish was then changed to a Parkerised military one and the grips became plain smooth types but the actual high standard of materials and manufacture remained unchanged. When the US entered WW2 large new contracts were given for the revolver in .38 Super in 2 and 4 inch barrels for US use-these are also called Victory pistols. Late in the war a safety was added to the design as a result of mishandling accidents and the prefix became VS (for Safety) but the serial no.s continued on in sequence. US military use of their revolvers as aircrew survival weapons continued on till about 1990. British and Commonwealth use lasted until the late 1950s/early 60s when the 9mm Browning HP35 took over. See attached a pic for the holster for the survival vest for the 4 inch revolver and my example for Australian use of the 5 inch Victory refitted in 1954.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	448051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	448052  

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	2885 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	448053  

Name:	DSC_9100.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	821852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9096.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	821851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	821850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9110.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	821853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9106.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	821854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9115.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	821855Hello All, I have recently came across a pair of unknown revolvers. They look like model 10's but unsure who the manufacture is. These items have no manufacture name stamped on them except made in USA and the serial #'s.

These revolvers belonged to my friends father who recently passed away. All we know is that the father served in the military and after the war he belonged to a gun club where he purchased these. The odd thing is the club and original purchase was in Germany in the 1950's so we know nothing about the history. I hope someone will be able to help identifying these beautiful pieces. Really nice engravings and pearl like handles. I believe they are pearl. I do see the serial #'s on the bottom of the handle yoke. One of the Serial #'s is v 673789. Both are chambered for 38 S&W. Barrel length is 4" and it's a 6 shooter. Thanks you in advance for your time and information.

US pattern 'Victory' pistols that have been engraved after being sold out of govt service as surplus-both Germany and Belgium were/are centres of the gun engraving industry in Europe and soon after WW2, it would have been a relatively cheap thing to have done to a widely available and cheap to buy weapon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12