Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

38 s&w m&p or victory revolver ?

Article about: Andy, Here's a link to the S&WCA page where you can download a factory letter request. Expect it to take 5 to 6 weeks - and perhaps a little longer because Roy has been travelling for se

Default 38 s&w m&p or victory revolver ?

Hi All
    i have a S&w 38 with matching numbers 904xxx on the deac sert it says its a victory revolver but there is no V pr fix before the serial No however there is a single V on the but strap under the grips. it has a sandblasted/blued finnish with the usual us property mark on the top strap and full millitary markings so its not just a comercial one but what is it? its also got NZ 1567 stamped at the top of the grip frame. is this a unit mark?
    any help would be welcome
    regards
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 38 s&w m&p or victory revolver ?   38 s&w m&p or victory revolver ?  

Default Re: 38 s&w m&p or victory revolver ?

Hello-your pistol is a late production model 11 S&W Revolver marked for New Zealand service-Victory model is similar but wit.h 2" or 4" barrel only

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-your pistol is a late production model 11 S&W Revolver marked for New Zealand service-Victory model is similar but wit.h 2" or 4" barrel only
    Lithgow is correct, Is is 'NZ' for New Zealand on the frame/backstrap.....
    Regards,

Steve.

Hello-coincidence is a strange thing-this morning I went down to my local gun store to return a book I had borrowed and lo and behold there was a S&W Mod 11 .38 that had just come into stock which I then bought-5" barrel, good Parkerised finish and unshot, s/n V3115XX-still at dealers but it's a small world sometimes.

Hi All
    thanks for that.
    wonder how it ended up hear in the u.k? will never know.
    Andy

New Zealand's primary military force in WW2 was the 2nd divison (1st div in WW1) that served in Greece/Crete, Western Desert & then the Italian Campaign until the end of the war. Your revolver served with NZ forces, not particularly in NZ itself.

Hi thanks for the info nice to know where it may have been.
    i like to get guns that have signs of use then you know they have been isued not just sat in stores.
    Andy

My own collection is a bit of a mix-some new & unshot, some ex service issued but I do try to get as good examples as I can afford.

?

What you have is commonly referred to as a Pre-Victory Military & Police Model. I bought one in January that is just under the 1 mil Sn range.

I am also including a copy of the Factory Letter I received from Smith & Wesson historian, Roy Jinks, about my revolver. It includes excellent information on the history of this series as sold to the British Commonwealth nations. I thought you might enjoy it. You can request one for your pistol. For a functional model here in the US, having the factory letter adds $150-$200 to the value. The cost is $50 so it was worth it here. In any case, it adds some historical context to the weapon for a collector.

The Sn was stamped on 5 locations on these revolvers - on the bottom strap of the butt, on the underside of the barrel, on the rear of the cylinder (the rear being the end facing you when you open it to load), on the front of the ejector (the front being the side you can't see when looking at the cylinder) and on the right stock. Finding one with all 5 matching numbers is unusual with the stocks and cylinders being the "most often" repalced items due to wear. I was very lucky to stumble on mine - all 5 numbers match. And, it shoots like a dream!

The later numbered revolvers were stamped "United States Property" on the left upper strap since they were provided under the Lend Lease program.

I hope the info and pictures help.

Regards,

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 38 s&w m&p or victory revolver ?   38 s&w m&p or victory revolver ?  

Hi Mark
    thats cool to have the history from S&W i think i will write to them myself nice pistol also mine is all matching but a deac sadly over hear it is this or nothing.
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast