Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

K98 Mauser bnz 42

Article about: During World War II, the Soviet Union captured millions of Mauser Karabiner 98k rifles and re-arsenaled them in various arms factories in the late 1940s and early 1950s. These rifles were or

gregocelt
    ?

Default K98 Mauser bnz 42

During World War II, the Soviet Union captured millions of Mauser Karabiner 98k rifles and re-arsenaled them in various arms factories in the late 1940s and early 1950s. These rifles were originally stored in the event of future hostilities with the Western democracies. These rifles, referred to by collectors as RC ("Russian Capture") Mausers, can be identified by a crude "X" stamp on the left side of the receiver.

what is the worth for that kind of rifle?
    would you classify it as less worthy?

i know that bnz mean it was created in Mauthausen-Gusen Concentration Camp in Austria, adjacent to the Stehr factory.

i'm not sure if i should buy it or not....

Default Re: K98 Mauser bnz 42

Hi Greg, the going rate for one of these in the UK is about £245

We have to speak now about just the UK market and not K98's in general worldwide. The are plenty of ex Russian capture rifles on the UK market. Personally, I like them. There is only one way the Russians got them and that is part of the history of the gun. You will know it was almost certainly used on the Eastern Front. I think that is a big bonus. The downside is that these rifles have been rebuilt by the Soviets and all the numbers will not match. Finding other good condition K98's in the UK is not as easy as you might think? Finding one with all matching serial numbers is actually very difficult. They were simply not brought back to the UK by ex servicemen or used postwar by the Army. This is where things are different overseas. Now, if we look at the issue on a worldwide scale just for interests sake only (you cannot buy one from overseas) in the USA and mainland Europe all original matching number K98's are a little easier to find. they were either brough home as souvenirs or saw postwar use in various armies. But having said that, they are not common to find.

Hope this helps you? BTW if you are thinking of buying one of these from Tony, he is doing two shows tomorrow. Check his website.

Cheers, Ade.

gregocelt
    ?

thx, there is one actually not that far from Manchester
    -> Newark Medal and Militaria Fair, Newark Showgroun, Off A1, Newark, Nottinghamshire

u know how can i get post code?
    is it NG24 1DJ (D M G Antiques Fairs) ??
    or NG24 2NY (Neward Showground‎) ??
    i used google maps

I don't know about UK prices but just in case someone is interested here in the US the Capture rifles with the X (which was a very crude stamp of crossed rifles) are going for $150-$200 if they have "peened eagles" (Russians took a punch and punched over the swastika) and a late war cupped butt plate. Rifles without the X and with intact eagles are around $250 or so. Personally I would step up and get a good rifle with no funny business. A good solid k98 with nice marks from any factory will always be a solid investment as long as the bore is nice. Quick question though, What are the rules for importers in the UK do they have to stamp their logo and information on each gun like they do here in the US?

Hi Greg, it is the Newark Showground and is well signposted and easy to find.

Hi Soalebm, we don't have import marks as such. But any live rifle has to be "proofed" and marked as such, plus any deact has to be stamped too by the Proof house.

Cheers, Ade.

The importers have to stamp their address on everything they bring in and anything from the old soviet states is done with a lazer pin and from the looks of the writing is done in a third grade class classroom. It is horrible!!! I have gone to collecting vet bring backs and stuff from old collections that don't have all that nonsense. I hope the laws don't change in the US

I don't blame you. Adding modern additions to historical items is not a great idea, especially if it is badly done to boot.

Cheers, Ade.

Here is my "RC".I bought it about 13 years ago when I was just getting my feet wet with WWII guns.It is a good way to start without making a huge investment.I don't shoot my matching collectable guns but this one sees some "action"
    dou code 1942 made in Czechoslovakia-Waffen Werke Brunn II
    Approx 122,579 produced*.This was the first year of K98 production by this factory.

*Backbone of the Wehrmacht by Richard D Law,Collector Grade Publications Inc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Mauser bnz 42  

gregocelt
    ?

this the pic of the mauser i am going to buy

here is the picture i found - other mauser

so.. the first one is definetely without the Cleaning rod right?
    and did they have bayonets ? this models?

Hi Greg, missing cleaning rods is often a common problem.

Yes, they took a bayonet which fits to the bar you can see between the cleaning rod and the barrel. You will see several K98 bayonets if you look on the forum.

The second one you show is slightly later production example, hence the sight hood.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast