Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

7.62 x 54r Surplus. What the heck did I just buy...?

Article about: Here's the one you want to see.........

Default 7.62 x 54r Surplus. What the heck did I just buy...?

I went to my local gun shop and asked if they had any surplus ammo for my Mosins. To be honest... people have been going nuts since Hurricane Sandy... and I figured it couldn't hurt to have some extra ammo stashed away for a rainy day...

The owner's son went into their storage and came back with this. He priced it $70 cheaper than the 880rnd crates of surplus at the other gun shop in town... so I took the bait. Essentially, I paid 15cents per round... 880rnds in total.

This stuff has me a little worried... it's dated 1949 and is older than I thought it would be. I was expecting the green rounded spam cans, but I ended up with squared off WWII-like zinc cans.

Has anyone else had experience with this stuff? I'd be interested to know what arsenal this stuff came out of! I'm hoping I didn't buy 26kg of dead weight...

7.62 x 54r Surplus. What the heck did I just buy...?7.62 x 54r Surplus. What the heck did I just buy...?7.62 x 54r Surplus. What the heck did I just buy...?7.62 x 54r Surplus. What the heck did I just buy...?7.62 x 54r Surplus. What the heck did I just buy...?

Default re: 7.62 x 54r Surplus. What the heck did I just buy...?

I can't read Cyrillic, but the tins look like some I bought before. The dealer said they were Albanian. I'm trying to find my old links for 7.62 cartridge info. Most of the dealers now are sposed to label the country of origin when it's been imported.

It looks like it's Russian. Found a link at this site http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...oduct1794.html Doesn't lookl ike a dud at least, the real deal hehe

Thanks for your efforts, Paul!

I also posted these pics on gunboards and the have yet to nail down exactly where this ammo is from, too! I should add that they seem to think that the age of the ammo is nothing to worry about.

By the way, I should add that I think this crate is way cool. I'm definitely going to add some hinges and a latch to it...

You're welcome, I used to use this info more and could recall it without looking it up. Age normally doesn't have alot to do with how it'll work, it's steel cased. I've had some brass cased 7.62 that had a few split necks. The soft brass doesn't hold up as well to the tension of holding the bullet. I haven't had that happen in any other brass cased ammo from other countries, just from behind the Iron Curtain.

They do look neat, I have one that used to contain RC K98s. I use it as my ammo storage. With my ammo can on top, I'm not sure if it's for a maxim or RPK.

Very cool, Paul!

The head stamps will tell you the arsenal/factory-look at 7.62 net for details-but seriously. you're intending to fight the collapse of US civilisation (I use the term loosely) with a Mosin and 65 year old ammo-Yanks:heavily armed and highly nervous!

Default Re: 7.62 x 54r Surplus. What the heck did I just buy...?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The head stamps will tell you the arsenal/factory-look at 7.62 net for details-but seriously. you're intending to fight the collapse of US civilisation (I use the term loosely) with a Mosin and 65 year old ammo-Yanks:heavily armed and highly nervous!
    Yep, I'm going to form a band of rogue teenagers... We will hide in the woods overlooking our town and take pot-shots at the Commies until our numbers grow. With the help of a downed U.S. jet pilot who teaches us tactics and because we will have become more familiar with combat... we will be able to re-take our village even though we are out-numbered and under-equipped! WOLVERINESSSSS!

Yes, let's be serious now... I consider myself an educated and level headed person... I figure that people have been going nuts because of the storm (although we received no major damage in my area), and there is a shortage of gasoline and other items. On top of all this, the election is coming up soon...

I've always wanted a crate of ammo... I think it's so cool! I just wanted to buy one before prices get out of hand!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast